Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Fox 15mm QR axles – how much thread should be showing out of leg?
  • preciousmetals
    Free Member

Soooo new bike. Never had to adjust Fox 15mm axle forks before.
    The Fox manuals of recent years are useless i.e. Just warranty and cautions in several languages.

So the retainer with small allen bolt is fair bot loose once axle removed.
    When axle is installed, lots of thread (which I assume should be inside leg dropout) showing.

I cannot make out what all those numbers are actually there for where you can supposedly slide round then nip up retention bolt.

Oh btw, the lever is in correct position.
    I’m 99.9% sure this is a simple thing but my mind boggles with the retention bolt and number notches.

Could someone point me in direction of some instructions with pics so my simpleton mind can put 1&1 together.
    Either that or tell me!

jimoiseau
    Free Member

Is this wha you’re looking for?

Also, although it might sound stupid, are you installing the axle with the wheel in? I find there’s a lot of thread showing on my pikes if I tighten the axle right up when replacing it without the wheel in (which I have to do when I take the wheel out or I’d definitely forget to take the axle with me).

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Thanks for that link, I’ve bookmarked it! 🙂

I’m installing with the wheel in and it clamps up ok but shows a fair bit of thread out of leg dropout.
    I’m guessing I adjust the retaining bolt and cam at the same time and lever position I’ll play with.

jambalaya
    Free Member

We need a picture, I certainty do as I’m confused

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Having looked at my other fox 15mm forks, the thread on them when wheel fitted is 3-4mm outboard of fork dropout.
    The opposite end of axle where thread is the retention bolt clamp is fairly loose when wheel removed which doesn’t sit right with me.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

I suppose I just nip up the bolt on the clamp (thread end as per pic) with wheel removed of course.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

My Q is should there be so mych thread showing and should the preload clamp be loose when wheel removed?

otsdr
    Free Member

It doesn’t matter how much thread is showing as long as the wheel is solid in the dropout. Yes, the nut can be loose with the wheel removed.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Ok! I thought as much as was fine fitted but my bike tech ocd got the better of me!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Fox 15mm QR axles – how much thread should be showing out of leg?’ is closed to new replies.