Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Four days to race fitness, suggestions please…
  • Kryton57

So a lapse in food and booze discipline plus working in Europe for a bit means diet and exercise went out the window for several weeks. I start a B target race series Wednesday, what’s the plan to sharpen up between when I get home tonight and then? Short hard turbo sessions, long road rides, short road hill climbs…?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Taper. It’s too late to do anything else.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Go for a ride, enjoy the race as a ride and count it as training for the next one.

bensales
    Free Member

That set of events happened to me in 2014 before the Silverstone Half Marathon.

I ran a PB 8 hours after getting of the plane from Arizona.

If you’ve done the training, you’ll be right, and the rest will probably have done you good.

jambalaya
    Free Member

8 hours for a half marathon ?

thegreatape
    Free Member

That’s what I thought! You can stroll round in 4.

Kryton57

It’s not so much the rest but the diet of croissants, strudel and beer that concerns me. It’s a 90 min MTB Reg C so surely a sharp turbo tomorrow with an z2 evening ride with a couple of hill climbs Monday would do me better than 4 days of sod all?

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Plenty of time.
    Do 2 days of 1hr. For the sessions do short, sharp max efforts (30-60seconds) with 1min recoveries between. Divide into sets of around six efforts with easy spinning between. Anything like this will make a massive difference to your sharpness.
    Day 3 rest
    Day 4 easy spin with a few short efforts thrown in. Max 1hr.

bikebouy
    Free Member

No idea, but your recent diet sounds great.

If I were you, I’d carry on with that 😉

Mister-P
    Free Member

Belgian beer. During the race.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I reckon it was a pogo stick marathon

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s a 90 min MTB Reg C so surely a sharp turbo tomorrow with an z2 evening ride with a couple of hill climbs Monday would do me better than 4 days of sod all?

Almost certainly, 110% spot on idea (you were just looking for someone to agree with you weren’t you?)

Wookster

In situations like this I like to think “What would Lance do?”

fatmax

Sleep well and eat well. Do some cycling but nowt too strenuous.

johnw1984
    Free Member

My work bike tends to agree Wookster 🙂

kcr
    Free Member

By definition, “sharpening up” is putting the finishing edge on a block of specific training. If you haven’t exercised for “several weeks” I’d say the only significant change you can make in 4 days is to tire yourself out. Go for a couple of spins and spend your time making sure everything else is ready.

bensales
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    8 hours for a half marathon ?

“A comma, a comma, my Kingdom for a comma!”

Actually I ran 1 hour, 39 minutes and 97 seconds.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Better skip pudding.

😉

phinbob

Ha, I’ve got 20.5 hours to get fit for my first race of ‘the season’.

The packet pickup is in a brewery.

I’m F’d, aren’t I?

Kryton57

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Better skip pudding

Too late, I had a lovely individual lemon meringue in Brussels midi earlier today.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Four days to race fitness, suggestions please…’ is closed to new replies.