• This topic has 68 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by GW.
Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Four bar to single pivot: Did you notice much difference? Pro's and cons?
  • dans160
    Free Member

Laps use what they call OST, Intense and Santa Cruz call it VPP. Essentially the same thing just done slightly differently. It’s explained here

nmdbase
    Free Member

Cracking….see what I did, did you? Trollll-a-lollll

juiced
    Free Member

good grief. Know i know why i love ht’s 🙂

mildred

To answer the OP – no.

The single pivots I’ve had:
    Orange Sub5, patriot LT, patriot 66, 224, 2006 5 & 2011 5; cannondale Gemini.

4 bars ive had:
    Norco A-line, Titus Supermoto, nicolai helius FR, ST, CC

I’ve ridden most of these all over UK and in the Alps, including events such as Mega, Passportes, odd DH race and plenty of trail centres

except for the Norco A-line, which was terrible to another dimension, they were all pretty much of a much.

I’ve never felt that brake jack or whatever it is (rear becoming rigid under hard braking) has ever reduced the enjoyment, or even been that noticeable. The things I loved about the Oranges is the fact is I never had o change the pivot bearings, despite using year round and jet washing, and the speed they seem to gain when pumping the terrain. The 4 bars are, perhaps, more refined but I currently have a CCDB on the FR so that may be influencing that.

There really isn’t much between any of the designs.

juiced
    Free Member

lol. 🙂

mildred

I love HT’s too, it’s just that wasn’t the question 😉

GW
    Free Member

GW how does the rider affect the enjoyment of what type of bike he wants to ride?

WTF are you on about? the OP didn’t even mention “enjoyment!” he asked “Any noticable differences? Any regrets?”
    the correct answer is Yes, there is a noticable difference between suspension designs, and not just SP Vs 4 bars. and yes (unlike Mildred apparently) I can tell/feel differences between certain designs, you may not.

What does the rider have to do with what type of bike he should buy?

a good rider who’s rarely on the brakes through rough terrain anyway will be just as fast descending on a shitty single pivot design while a shit rider may get beaten to death dragging their brakes down longer rougher descents on that same shitty single pivot.
    While not ideal, a good rider should be able to adjust to riding bikes with ropey geometry too.

He can hardly buy skills from the bike shop.

No but you can buy/book them online these days 😉

nmdbase
    Free Member

Told you it would 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

GW your post is still irrelevant.

BUt seriously, how can you continue to deprive the mtbing world of your skilz?

Why not start a skills school? Think: you’d be a millionaire, and the standard of riding in the UK would be transformed.

neallyman
    Free Member

shitty single pivot

classic.

philfive
    Free Member

Smooth link is the best 😛

GW
    Free Member

neallyman, I actually said “a shitty single pivot design”

Al – 9 bikes you little gimp

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

If the OP managed to keep a bike for more than a year then he could probably afford to buy a bike of both design.

My old bike had one pivot my knew one has 4 apparently. Did it influence my decision to buy? Nope not one bit, I bought the bike that I like riding the most.

wrecker
    Free Member

All hail the all knowing GW. 🙄

flow
    Free Member

GW is actually Gary Weagle, Dave Weagle’s evil twin brother, we have much to learn from him.

nmdbase
    Free Member

He is from the place where they have short arms and deep pockets 😆

flow
    Free Member

Apparently he has already started setting up single pivot concentration camps in a bid to rid the world of their uselessness.

In his perfect world, multi-pivot frames will rule, and single pivots will either be crushed, or made to work as slaves!

duir
    Free Member

Some of the fastest riders I know ride single pivots. Modern shock technology means there is really very little to tell between various designs. I find fit (especially reach) and geometry are far more important factors when choosing a bike. The two most recent linkage driven single pivots really feel no worse/better than full linkage systems. In some respects too much linkage can take all the feel out of the ride and can leave you with little connection to the earth and certainly the Cane Creek makes single pivots feel like a linkage bike.

Best plan is to get the right geometry and fit then try all the bikes that work for your body and buy the one that rides best for you.

cynic-al
    Free Member

“9 bikes” WTF?

Your willy-waving is usually better than that.

flow
    Free Member

Duir has the knowledge GW wishes he had

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Perhaps having 9 bikes = expert/pro rider..

compositepro
    Free Member

Don’t open the modern shock technology argument .you will have the so called industry experts crying into their free download of linkage ,posting their anti squat curves and trying to find a tiny point of difference to flog their bikes.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Motorbkies still use a shitty single pivot design often with just one swinging arm.
    Trolling surely

neninja
    Free Member

Most modern motorbikes use a linkage driven single pivot so you can adjust the rising rate.

GW
    Free Member

flow – Member
    Duir has the knowledge GW wishes he had

Which particular bit of knowledge are you referring to? 😕

Is every single pivot design exactly the same? No. Does every single pivot design behave the same? again, No. So can some single pivot designs perform worse than others? er.. Yes! hence me referring to a “shitty” single pivot design in my example (there are “shitty” linkage designs too)
    but apparently it makes **** all difference because simply fitting a Cane Creek Double Barrel shock to the shittiest single pivot ever designed can not only transform the suspension performance, it is somehow able to change the braking characteristics too. 🙄

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

That’s the worst backtracking I’ve seen in a while.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Could you name some ‘shitty single pivots’ that are currently manufactured? (and cost more than £150 and aren’t sold by Lidl)
    1995, sure loads, put that was a while back.
    They all appear to put their pivot point in nigh on an identical position nowadays, so any shittyness would appear to be a function of joint and frame stiffness (a problem not unique to single pivots) rather than pivot geometry.

PJM1974
    Free Member

There’s an awful lot of BS going on here. It’s very hard to give aa definitive answer as to which suspension system works best.

Both of my bikes are four-bar designs, but they feel very different on the trail. One seems to exhibit far more pedal influence than the other, while the second bike feels very plush at the expense of pedal efficiency.

I’ve even ridden two Horst Link bikes that feel very different to one another. I’ve given up on favouring any system over the other, the proof of it is in the riding.

GW
    Free Member

ChunkyMTB – Member

That’s the worst backtracking I’ve seen in a while. Uh? take it you mean me? where have I backtracked?

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Four bar to single pivot: Did you notice much difference? Pro's and cons?’ is closed to new replies.