• This topic has 17 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by adyp.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Found in skip; Rockhopper Comp. what year and what size seatpost?
  • coastkid
    Free Member

As in title, just need a seat post, drivetrain is fine and i got everything else needed.
    Always good to get a bike destined for scrap rolling and pass it on to a new owner for a commuter etc… 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nULRdc]Skip find; Rockhopper Comp 001[/url] by coastkid71, on Flickr

shifter
    Free Member

Nice find! Can’t help with size, sorry.

PiknMix
    Free Member

2000 and 30.9 🙂

Goldigger
    Free Member

I wondered where my bike disappeared too!

acehtn
    Free Member

I never find bikes like that in skips….good find and good save.

I had one about that time with magura julies, there ace until you cartwheel them down a rubble track at 27mph, then they tend to bend a bit……cheapo manipoo forks 🙂

maxtorque

Now THAT is what i call a PROPER stem length!! 😉

(and extra points for the barends too…..)

njee20
    Free Member

+1 for 2000, and 30.9. Definitely.

hot_fiat

Great find & what a colour! The elastomers in the forks’ll be like wine gums by now.

eskay

I bought some springs to replace the elastomers in some old quadras a while ago. Had to buy from usa but were quite cheap.

kcal

wow — good find, well worth the effort to restore, even if you go rigid..

My M2s from about 1998 had Judy T2s IIRC, with whopping 63mm of rubbish travel.

robdob
    Free Member

Nice find!

I recently found this 2000 Marin Bear Valley at a scrapyard with miraculously no dents or damage.

It now looks like this!

Person who I restored it for says it rides really nicely.

coastkid
    Free Member

Done a few skip progects over the years. Most recent this 1974 Dawes, not a Galaxy as first thought but a Shadow, still rides well with panniers loaded with shopping!,
    My Daily commuter and a keeper. Needed new wheels/tyres, BB, bar tape and cables, Plasticoat paint job and £5 stickers off ebay but still built for £100 using up stuff lying around in the man cave 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nVvJCr]5,4,13 001[/url] by coastkid71, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nD2b7v]1974 Dawes saved from scrap yard; commuter restored! 063[/url] by coastkid71, on Flickr

MikeG

I rescued this from the scrapman last week

Looks to have been really well looked after, a quick clean. Some cheap north road bars fitted upside down and a new front inner tube and it now looks like this

Bars need tweaking and trimming and some proper brake levers.

Edit: can’t get the pics to work from my phone, will update when I’m near a pc

MarcSussex
    Free Member

As others have said it’s a MY 2000, same as mine:

kayak23

My singlespeed came out of a skip.
    It quite possibly looks like it still belongs in one but rides great and I loves it.. 8)

Incidentally, the above photo is of a bike locking fail….
    Clearly I was thinking of something else when I put the lock on, but hey… it was still there!
    😳

teasel
    Free Member

🙂 wtf?

That probably imagined you as a crazy futhermucker and thought better of it, what with the bike’s colours ‘n all…

MikeG

I’ll try again!

I rescued this from the scrap man last week

[/url]1951 Humber as found by mike_gee32, on Flickr[/img]

Looks to have been really well looked after, a quick clean. Some cheap north road bars fitted upside down and a new front inner tube and it now looks like this

[/url]1951 Humber after a clean by mike_gee32, on Flickr[/img]

Bars need tweaking and trimming and some proper brake levers.

adyp
    Free Member

re the rockhopper – I’ve got one of those from 2000 and it’s still my most used bike. All it’s needed in nearly 15 years is a new middle chain ring, chain and cassette, and some decent gear cables. With some Schwalbe Marathon Cross tyres I’ve not had a puncture for 6 years!! Mine’s the same blue/silver colour as Marks above.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Found in skip; Rockhopper Comp. what year and what size seatpost?’ is closed to new replies.