Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • FOUND: GPS IN DUNDEE
  • whereisthurso
    Free Member

Hi,

I found a GPS on the ground in Dundee and want to return it to it’s rightful owner. It had clearly been on the bike this morning as it was still recording when I found it. Hopefully the owner is on the forum or knows someone who is.

nickjb
    Free Member

Has it got a ‘home’ waypoint?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

download the file and see where it started from?

whereisthurso
    Free Member

I’ve downloaded it and can see roughly where it started from which happens to be on my commute home. I’ll see if I spot any cyclists on the way home who look like they’re having a bad day. From what I can see this was the first time it had ever been used. Nightmare.

allthepies
    Free Member

Garmin devices allow the owner to add “owner info” which shows up when you turn the device on. If a Garmin then check for that.

rickmeister

As all the pies mentioned, turn it off, then on again. There may be info on the start up screen…

I’ll just pop this here, its easy to do and might get your Garmin back…

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/08/display-number-garmin.html

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

A guy in my work uses one & has been doing a fair bit of training around Monifieth, Dundee etc for the etape – I will ask him.

Think he uses a 510?

whereisthurso
    Free Member

Unfortunately there are no owner details on the load up screen. It’s a good idea though and I think I’ll do that with my own one. Have posted info on the fb pages of some local cycling clubs so hopefully someone will come forward and claim it.

Shackleton

If it was near the JHI/SCRI (Invergowrie site) or Dundee Uni I can post up a note on their message boards. Let me know if you want me to.

whereisthurso
    Free Member

I’d expect most people would ride along riverside to get there so I don’t think it’d be likely as it wasn’t found near there really. It’s worth a try though. I’m just posting links on every message board available at the moment and will see what comes of it.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Would you not be best handing it in to the police station?

milky1980
    Free Member

As all the pies mentioned, turn it off, then on again. There may be info on the start up screen…

I did this last time it was mentioned on here. Saved me a big bill buying a replacement for my 800 once already! I took it off at the top of Cwmcarn to adjust the headset and forgot to put it back on. Got back to the car before I realised so was just about to set off up the road to fetch it. Checked my phone (which was in the car, carry an old Nokia brick for emergencies) and there was a text saying someone had found it. Sent one back to say I was in the car park and a guy rode up to me 5 minutes later and handed it to me. Offered him a few quid to buy beer/coffee/Maccy D’s and he wouldn’t have it. Big thanks to a random up visiting from Bristol 🙂

geoffj

Would you not be best handing it in to the police station?

He might be best telling plod he has it and asks them to forward enquiries than lose it to some random police auction some time in the future.

whereisthurso
    Free Member

I’ve reported it to the police and have put a sign up on the bridge cycle path as well as sharing on all the local cycling club websites etc. So far no luck unfortunately.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

you can add you name phone number etc at the start up screen just edit the txt doc in the garmin

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/08/display-number-garmin.html

whitestone
    Free Member

In addition to the name/number on the start up screen you could contact Garmin with the serial number to see if it’s been registered for warranty purposes. If so ask them to contact the owner.

medoramas
    Free Member

I’ve got an idea!

Upload one of the older rides from the found device on your Strava – it will show that you shared the ride with the owner (considering you and him/her use Strava) 😀

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘FOUND: GPS IN DUNDEE’ is closed to new replies.