Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • FOUND: Cannondale Jekyll 2 (Oxfordshire)
  • Harry_the_Spider

Hants plod run a recovery scheme where you register the frame number to help them re – unite high end bikes with their rightful owners following theft.

I’ve had mine registered with GMP and marked with a UV paint serial number.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

most if not all forces have access to immobilise.com and bikeregister.com and should be checking these whenever a bike is recovered – I believe our front counter staff (who manage ‘found’ property) did in this case. The advantage is it’s national – if your bike registered in your home force turns up somewhere covered by a different force (which could be just a few miles away) then it won’t be on their systems. We have 43 forces and historically struggled to share information that would have prevented murders let alone identify stolen bikes (the Bichard Enquiry after Soham led to national intel sharing systems, we are nowhere near a national force or national crime property register, that gap is filled by immobilise and bikeregister).

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Well the bike is pretty muddy now 🙂 and I’m so happy (apart from the sodding creaky BB that I’d forgotten about 👿 ).

So to try to avoid this happening again there are some things I need to do:
    1 Don’t assume that my quiet village is theif proof even at 6:30om.
    2 If I’ve been out for a couple of hours riding I won’t have my Hiplok with me so don’t rely on a little cable ‘shop lock’ for security, just cycle the 300yds past the pub, put the bike away at home and walk back for a beer.
    3 Use BikeRegister. And on that point has anyone applied the UV Covert kit? Is it easy enough?

Right, time to clean the bike and then get it a bit less clean before locking it away at work. Thanks to all who offered congratulations and all those who helped get me in touch with CTM. I hope he has a good day riding.

Tiger6791

Good end to the story 😀

dmorts

Great news!

I started to register my bikes with one of the websites but stopped when I realised if it was ever hacked it would provide a dream shopping list for any would be thief, complete with number and type of your bikes, your address and contact details!

Can remember which site* it was exactly but I stopped at the point it asked for my home address…

However, if a bike was ever stolen I have the details and pics ready to go. Otherwise I’m keeping that information off the web as best I can

Edit: *might have been the bike register

shermer75
    Free Member

Great end to the story. Great work crashtestmonkey, and thanks for all the useful info! Just checked to make sure my bike is on bikeregister.com 🙂

Speshpaul

#tag coolest thread ever#

StefMcDef
    Free Member

It’s a Sunday and I’m just starting a ten-hour shift but this thread has cheered me right up. 😀

Gorblessyaguvnor.

Glad you were reunited with your bike, eddiebaby.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Update time.
    Just spent a couple of hours drinking in my local with the guy who found my bike and handed it in. He lives about 400yd from me but we’ve never spoken. Turns out he’s a biker and his other half’s dad has access to a lot of prime forest that he rides.
    Winner. Chrismas sorted etc.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Just picked up this thread. Great news and happy riding !

Ps why doesn’t my Jekyll look as good as yours ? White looks mega!

gauss1777
    Free Member

The way this story is going, you should be able to sell the film rights 🙂

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I haven’t met his divorcee sister with the cute dog yet…

gauss1777
    Free Member

I haven’t met his divorcee sister with the cute dog yet…

🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘FOUND: Cannondale Jekyll 2 (Oxfordshire)’ is closed to new replies.