Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Found an old Camera -that takes film!!
  • monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Clearing out the cupboards and came across an old Minolta Camera (Can’t remember the model). It’s a few years old (about 13) but still looks brand new.
    Can you still get film processed?
    Worth keeping or flogging?

HansRey

What is it? 35mm is quite easily available. Even better, there’s loads of it on sale on eBay. Check the expiry dates on old stock

geetee1972
    Free Member

Check the expiry dates on old stock

Expired film stock is highly sought after and very rare. Film shooters love the effects that expired film can produce and the uncertainty of the event.

You can get film processed very readily but it does cost quite a bit and the quality can be quite variable. Avoid Jessops if you can.

HansRey

Expired film stock is highly sought after and very rare. Film shooters love the effects that expired film can produce and the uncertainty of the event.

Fair enough. Good reasoning.

OP, if you do get some developed, try http://www.photohippo.co.uk/. I’ve been using them for years, with good results. The prices are decent, too.

molgrips
    Free Member

No one will buy the camera unless it’s vintage or classic or something.

Cannot give mine away.

RustySpanner

Just ask around, get the word out – there’s loads of old film just waiting around in people’s cupboards.

If you can’t find some nearly free compatable lenses to play with, you could pick up an old Praktica or Pentax for M42 screw mount lenses.
    Thousands of them about for free or for a few quid, people just want the space.

bob_summers

Cannot give mine away.

What is it? I use all kinds, from a 60s Leica to point-and-shoots and old EOS bodies (my regular shooter has the door taped shut as the catch broke). Unless yours takes a weird obsolete battery or something, someone would be glad of it, surely.

I develop at home, it’s not hard or particularly expensive. Loads of YT guides on the subject. If you’re doing the odd roll it’s maybe not worth it but I’m doing a batch of both colour and B&W every month.

Local electronics chain sells cheap Fuji colour films, 4 for 12€ I think, it’s perfectly serviceable.

dannybgoode

Get some nice Ilford black and white film. Plenty of places still process it or learn some dark room skills.

geetee1972
    Free Member

a 60s Leica

…..is incredibly collectable. Good on you for still using it.

There’s a good blog from a photographer that I like that talks about using expired film here:

Best Before

epicyclo

Just found a Kodak box camera at Blythswoods for a tenner.

It has a roll of unused colour film in it. Judging by the dust it hasn’t been touched for about 40 odd years.

Going to have some fun with it. Contact prints coming up. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Mine is a Pentax MZM from about 1998, cheap SLR. It’s only merit is that it is very light so useful for expeditions etc I suppose.

bob_summers

a 60s Leica
    …..is incredibly collectable. Good on you for still using it.

Cheers GT. 1961 M2 body, 1959 50mm f2.8 Elmar. Currently away in Holland having a service, can’t wait to get it back as it’s my almost daily shooter.

Molgrips, shame I didn’t know. I wanted something like that for my niece who’s learning photography. The 50mm primes are nice lenses and dead cheap. I ended up overspending on an OM-1.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Antiques roadshow in Wales/July?

clodhopper
    Free Member

I love old cameras. I have a small collection including a couple of Nikons, Olympus, Pentax and even an old Polaroid camera. Sadly never use them these days. I do use my older Nikon lenses with my DSLR though.

There are some amazing bargains around. You can buy really good SLR bodies for peanuts; I was looking at a Nikon F100 with battery grip and data back for just £130 the other day. That’s something like £1400+ new when it was the latest thing. Interestingly though, the older ‘pro’ bodies seem to retain value. Nikon F2s, F3s, Olympus OM4 Ti, Canon F1s, Pentax LX were THE top SLR bodies, and they aren’t cheap. But something like a Canon A1, an excellent camera, will be very cheap. And Canon FD lenses are cheap because they aren’t compatible with the new EOS systems. Like this beauty:

http://www.ffordes.com/product/15061116090431

Of course, there’s the Pentax K1000, the favourite of photography students. Bomb-proof and reliable. Millions of K-mount lenses available. You could buy a load of macro gear which would once have cost a fortune, for very little money now. Or just a super-sharp SMC 50mm f1.7 for £25.

clodhopper
    Free Member

For Nikon users, theres the EM, which can take practically any AIS lens available, including AF lenses (but not ‘G’ series lenses as they lack the mechanical aperture control feature).

http://www.ffordes.com/product/15092415090831

Or an F3 with motordrive; 6fps!

http://www.ffordes.com/product/10082616242281

PePPeR

I’m another chap with a few cameras, I inherited over 150 from my father, I have everything from Leicas (9) to Zorkis and Lomos.

I have some lovely out of date Kodak Portra 160vc (very very top end film) if anyone fancies trying a roll or two.

clodhopper
    Free Member

I’d quite like to get some Ilford B+W and do a bit of my own processing; haven’t done that in nearly 20 years I think. HP5+ pushed to 1600; lovely grainy pics.

(Not my pic)

bob_summers

I have some lovely out of date Kodak Portra 160vc (very very top end film) if anyone fancies trying a roll or two.

35mm?

molgrips
    Free Member

I wanted something like that for my niece who’s learning photography. The 50mm primes are nice lenses and dead cheap. I ended up overspending on an OM-1.

I have a 50mm prime too 🙂 I’d have given it to you for postage. It’s really not that good though, nothing classic about it.

PePPeR

Yup 35mm

mattsccm
    Free Member

Anyone want my Rollei 25 at a inflated price?

Andy-R

mattsccm – Member
    Anyone want my Rollei 25 at a inflated price?

Or my Olympus M-1?

bob_summers

Pepper I’d be interested in buying a couple of rolls of your expired portra.

bob_summers

YGM Pepper!

Or my Olympus M-1?

Stick it on the ‘bay. I had to pay quite a lot to get an OM-1 in good nick (not sure what difference the O makes).

PePPeR

I agree, apart from EBay fees, the prices wanted cameras sell for is very good.

I’ve got a few nice ones to sell, as I’m going over from 4/3rds to Nikon and it’s a expensive business buying lenses.

Sidney
    Free Member

Stick it on the ‘bay. I had to pay quite a lot to get an OM-1 in good nick (not sure what difference the O makes).

Inspired by this thread I went and had a look at some OM’s on ebay. Knowing diddly squat between the models I googled it and ended up on Olympus’ history section where I read this:

“The OM-1 initially went on sale as the M-1. However, the product created such an impact that Leica asked Olympus to change the name. ”

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Found an old Camera -that takes film!!’ is closed to new replies.