Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Found a phone. How to find it's owner?
  • singlespeedstu

Found on today’s ride in the woods an old none smartphone Nokia.
    Battery was flat so charged it up and tried to turn it on but it was asking for a pin number.
    Tried putting the sim into and old phone to get to their contacts but it looks like I also need a code to get into it that way.
    Any more ideas on how to find the owners number?
    I’d hand it in with the rozzers but I found it in the woods between two different countys and from past experiences they seem not to communicate with each other…

hels
    Free Member

Wait until it rings ? Then have a surreal (for them) conversation with the caller.

tomhoward

Would the network have a name and address? Send it to them to send to the owner, or at least contact them?

chakaping
    Free Member

Contact the sim provider?

m0rk
    Free Member

Just leave it on, they’ll call it. Who wouldn’t want an aged Nokia back?

singlespeedstu

Just leave it on, they’ll call it.

It’s turned on as in the lights are on but is it turned “on” if the pin isn’t entered?

nickjb
    Free Member

It should ring without the pin. Better than having a conversation like this:

jam-bo

Hand it into the police then forget about it.

deadkenny
    Free Member

m0rk – Member
    Just leave it on, they’ll call it. Who wouldn’t want an aged Nokia back?

They’ll be needed come the apocalypse. They’re indestructible.

singlespeedstu

I may as well have left it in the woods as do that…
    Just phoned the number on the sim and given them the sim details.
    I’ll had it back in to the local EE shop in the morning.

hairyscary

jam bo – Member

This is what I did when I found one. Trying to find an open Police station was hard work. When I eventually found one that was open they said they would try to reunite it with its owner, so maybe better than leaving it in the woods.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Are they not surgically attached to it?

bearnecessities

Reminds me of a time (many years ago) I found a really fancy-pants phone early in the morning, well before the days of smartphones and easily worth a few hundred if I decided to be anything other than an upstanding citizen.

After contacting “Mum” on the phone, I ended up driving a fair distance to reunite phone with owner, who was about 20, surrounded by mates in a pub and just went “oh, cheers” like I was disturbing his evening, and turned back around to carry on his pub-bantz.

Obviously, I didn’t want to take the phone back and piss & stamp on it in front of him after that. No, not me. I’m better than that.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

What jam bo said. I did something similar and had a gratefull owner call me with their thanks. I’d like to think something similar might happen if I lost mine.

CountZero

Just phoned the number on the sim and given them the sim details.
    I’ll had it back in to the local EE shop in the morning.

This. I’ve done exactly that, found a phone, checked who the network was on the SIM and taken it into the appropriate shop for them to check the number against their database. Far and away the easiest thing to do.
    I found one of those old type Casio data watches on the floor after a gig, took it home because there was a big scrum around the cloakroom and security couldn’t give a toss, it was at Bristol Uni. Had a search through the info and found the owner’s mum with her number listed, so I phoned her and she gave me her son’s address in Bristol to send it back.
    She was very grateful, as was her son when he got it back and he phoned to thank me. Balance was restored and I earned a few kharmic brownie points. 😀

loddrik
    Free Member

Found quite a few left in back of cab. I’ll either leave it a few hours to see if the owner calls. If the phone isn’t locked then I’ll try to call someone in the recent contacts and ask them to get the owner to call it. Failing that I’ll take it to a police station.

boblo
    Free Member

Just ring it and see who answers… Oh…

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Battery was flat

Must’ve been there a while then….

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I found an iPhone while walking 15 miles in the outback down under in the middle of desert…

It had a smashed screen so could not type or answer calls and battery died.

I didn’t have time to go to find the local police but put the sim into my phone and answered the voicemail instructions call from owners Father. Spoke to owners Dad and gave my hotel address.

Owner turned up with crate of wine and was happy to find phone as he was a hotel manager and probably got the screen fixed.

Me and my friends got plastered.

Don’t leave your phone on top of the car while driving.

Hand into local plod station.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Found a phone. How to find it's owner?’ is closed to new replies.