Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Found a driving licence – what to do?
  • seventyfive
    Free Member

I found someone’s drivers licence today and thinking of best way to get it back to the owner. I think he’s a student here in Swansea as address is in Essex plus he’s a 19 year old, but he could also be working in the area. A quick facebook search showed nothing, so I can either send it to his home address, although he could have moved and not changed it yet, send it to the DVLA, or hand it in to the police?

I think if it goes back to the DVLA then he’ll get charged?

Any suggestions of what to do?

Suggsey
    Free Member

Ring up Swansea Uni and see if they have him on their books perhaps of course explaining that you have found his driving licence/ID. If you popped in with it they would probably reunite the pair themselves.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Just goigle the surname and phone his mum?

cakefacesmallblock

I think I’d be inclined to take it to the Police station. Alternatively post it to Swansea with a note.
    Either way, it might be a good thing to write to the address and tell them what you have done ?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

#licencetowill

Go viral. It’ll work better if he’s called will or william.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Identity fraud, or the police.

teasel
    Free Member

I took a lost DL to the cop shop and they reluctantly accepted it but suggested I send it to the DVLA. The DVLA will just stuff it in a ‘box’ and that’ll be that. They won’t pass it on to the original owner because they can charge for a replacement.

Personally I’d send it to the address and hope he’s still there. If not the new occupant will probably have a better idea of where to send it, or do as above if you’re local and can be bothered.

zerocool

Could you not just post it back to the address on it?

seventyfive
    Free Member

I think I’ll send it back to his address – Brentwood. I would have dropped it off at Uni if I knew which one he’s in, but there’s three of them (I think).

Not sure what the hashtag above is about, but funnily enough his name is William!

jimoiseau
    Free Member

Might be worth searching his name on facebook and seeing if there are many in the local area, unless it’s a very common name.

CountZero

I once found an ID card belonging to an Italian student in the carpark next to Silbury Hill, back before the likes of Fb, Twitter, etc, so I contacted the Italian embassy in London, who asked me to post it to them, as he would likely contact them about it’s loss. They were very grateful.
    In this case, I’d contact the address on the card, just with a letter to say it was in my possession, and I was checking to make sure the address was still current, before sending it registered delivery.
    Or it might be worth checking in a phone book, see if there’s a landline number, and call it if so.

maccruiskeen

he could have moved and not changed it yet, send it to the DVLA, or hand it in to the police?

Just post it to the address on the licence. If its the right address – ace. If its the wrong address then the DVLA will have the wrong address too – so if you send it to them they’ve as much chance of returning it to him as you have.

andyl
    Free Member

Go buy a 65″ UHD TV on finance? 🙂

Local police station would be my choice. Or post it to his house which is probably easier as most police stations seem to be closed these days.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Assume your new identity.

poly
    Free Member

I dropped mine not far from my office (when using a bank machine). I didn’t even know I had lost it when it arrived in the post. With a note attached saying where found but no senders details. I was very grateful. IF it is his parents address its only going to cost them 60p and take an extra day or two to get to him at Uni.

dooge
    Free Member

Police station. No worries about wrong address and it getting into the wrong hands. Police will keep it for a nominal time to allow him to pick it up if he enquires, if not it’ll be returned to DVLA for disposal or return to owner, if they can confirm his family still live there.

wallop

Post it to the address on the licence. If he’s not there anymore then that’s his tough luck – it doesn’t cost anything to change your address on a driving licence.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Found a driving licence – what to do?’ is closed to new replies.