Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • found a ding in my rim
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

classic humour

yes so i have found a ding in my rear wheel and a slightly bent spoke with not much tension on it. What do i do now?

[/url][/img]

legend
    Free Member

True your wheel, keep riding. If you really want, you can try bending it back into shape with something like a shifting spanner.

weeksy

nothing, I’ve got a couple… I’ve had the dings over a year…. forget about them… it’s a mountain bike.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

was worried that the ding may get worse and create a problem with tubeless bead seating when I change tyres etc. glad I can just leave it

D0NK

You can sort out a bent side wall with an adjustable spanner, unless you’re running tubeless it doesn’t seem to make much difference, but a flat spot on the rim (look at the corner between sidewall and top of the rim plus the spoke with no tension) is a bit more tricky. If you’re comfortable attempting truing wheels put a bit of tension in it (not much) and try to get wheel true, with an untensioned spoke it’s probably pulled to the other side a bit. If not take it to an LBS, proper old style roady ones normally do cheap wheel truing service but prices may vary, my LBS is a couple quid I think.

D0NK

create a problem with tubeless bead seating when I change tyres

might do, might not, leave til you change tyres and see, shouldn’t get worse unless you ding same spot again.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

The wheel is perfectly straight, just noticed the ding and the spoke is untensioned with a slight ‘straight’ bend in it. The spoke is on prett ymuch the opposite side to the ding

Northwind

I’d straighten it out with an adjustable spanner and an ear (the ear is for listening for any creaking, pinging or cracking sounds!). Lots of little tweaks, starting from each end of the ding and moving in. Done right you can barely see where it was.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Leave it as it is. I’ve been riding with a very large flat spot on a lightweight rim for years now.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘found a ding in my rim’ is closed to new replies.