Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Found a car but its showing as stolen??
  • renton
    Free Member

Hi all.

Ive been searching for an Octavia vrs diesel estate and have found one on ebay.

Its very well specced and seems well priced for the spec and age etc against other cars.

It is a private sale though.

Ive done a couple of HPI checks on the car and it is showing as stolen in 2013.
    Speaking to the owner he says it was stolen and recovered the next day with no damage apart from locks which were replaced. It wasnt recorded as stolen recovered as the insurance didnt pay out anything?

Should I be wary of buying it?

I had managed to negotiate on the price a little but this was before I had done the checks. seller is refusing to budge any more as he says its a bargain as it is?

What do you think ??

should it be worth less??

Can i post a link up to the car?

Cheers

Steve

weeksy

If it’s showing as stolen recovered that makes it IMO 20% at least down on price.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Marked on the register so regardless of what the owner says it worth less and the insurance will take that into account if they have to pay out.

brakes
    Free Member

get the guy to get the record changed or walk.

legend
    Free Member

and you’ll have to have exactly the same conversation/negotiation when you come to sell it

EDIT: “Can i post a link up to the car?” no reason not to. They aren’t exactly rare though http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds?Category=used-cars&Keyword=vrs+estate&KeywordCleanedValue=vrs+estate&M=743&Page=1 so if it seems to good to be true……

midlifecrashes

Walk. You’ll never really trust the car. There will be another one along soon enough.

sandwicheater

Sounds fishy. If he lets you corroborate that story with the insurer i’d be tempted if a genuine bargain.

Would you not always get stopped by the police?

EDIT: What they said ^^

renton
    Free Member

Its this one…….

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231420811921?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Apparently as the insurance company were not involved and didnt pay anything out its not recorded.

binners

Buy it! Drive it like you stole it! Someone else has! 😀

DezB
    Free Member

People steal SKODAS??

Jamie
    Free Member

You really should have just kept the Mazda, Renton. 8)

NZCol

It is recorded though, that’s what you have found out.
    Walk away.

weeksy

Apparently as the insurance company were not involved and didnt pay anything out its not recorded.

However the HPI check disagrees as it IS recorded.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Wouldn’t touch it. You may have issues with insurance, re-sale, etc

Bregante

I’m confused why its still shown as stolen. Is that HPI info direct from PNC (Swansea/DVLA). If it is then that marker should have been updated at the point that the keeper notified the Police of its recovery.

And if that’s not the case then surely he would have been stopped in it at some stage? It should be shown as stolen AND Recoovered and a “Loss” marker updated on PNC with details of its recovery.

If he cannot satisfactorily answer the above – walk away. No matter how cheap it is.

chakaping
    Free Member

Regardless of the status, the seller seems a bit shifty from your account.

I sense you’re going to buy it anyway though.

renton
    Free Member

nope think im walking on this one.

Jamie you could be right about the Mazda, If only the paint wasnt so crap on them !!

renton
    Free Member

He has just text me to say that he has been in contact with his insurance and it should be updated to stolen/recovered by monday.

What do you think?

It was stolen and then found the next day.

I have managed to get him down to £9.5k before I found out about the stolen/recovered thing? he wont move anymore?

legend
    Free Member

It was stolen and then found the next day

do you think it was parked up for 12hours? Or do you think it lived at the rev limiter for 12 hours?

I’d still be walking, it was still stolen.

sandwicheater

I think you’ve made your mind up.

How much cheaper is it than the rest?

cr500dom
    Free Member

Do the engine and Chassis numbers still match those on the log book ?

Its always going to stay on VCAR, -20% off bottom book as a starting point.

I have brought CatD cars before but only because I knew I was not looking at selling them on again in a few years and only when they were seriously cheap

dknwhy

If the insurance company update the marker, i’d be tempted but i’d knock him even more on price – the car will always have a marked history like a total loss/repaired car and you’ll have the same issues when you come to sell it.

renton
    Free Member

Ive not viewed it yet. going on the ics its a nice car.

Ive got him down to 9.5k for it before i found out about the hpi stuff.

He wont move anymore

I would be buying to keep for a while.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Also says HPI clear in the Ad.

Its not, you wouldn’t put that unless you knew it was. Seems dodgy to me, may have started out relying on someone not doing an HPI on it before buying?

johndoh
    Free Member

It says on the listing it is HPI clear.

It is not HPI clear.

So what else is he lying about?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Get this one. Same area, same price, lower miles, probably not stolen.

daveh
    Free Member
    renton
    Free Member

He is not coming down on price so Im giving it a miss

cakefacesmallblock

Both of the Skoda dealers I have experience if are brilliant.
    My most recent firms car, a Superb, is exactly that too.
    Years of company cars, inc Saab, Landrover, Lexus,VW as well as Ford and Vauxhall and this thing is ace and cheap.
    Our local Skda place, Savilles Garage at MUstow Green near Kidderminster, have always seemed to have good deals new or used. I’m certain you could get something with warranty too at at least as good a deal as that. Try chatting with them.
    By the way , no connection whatsoever, other than being pleased with my car and the service. In two years it’s needed one service and a wiper blade.

Slogo
    Free Member

£9500 for a stolen skoda!

**** that!

renton
    Free Member

I know the gargae at mustow green, Im from droitwich.

This car has a really good spec compared to anyhting else on the market.

slackboy

I’d walk. That’s not even cheap. I bought a 59 plate with 60k from a main dealer for £9.5k and that was two years ago

unovolo
    Free Member

I like the Skoda and think its worth a look if its local.
    The HPI stuff wouldnt put me off ,but would definetly push it as a bargaining tool.

However that said you could get this newer Seat Exeo with same mileage for less money.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2011-61-SEAT-EXEO-TECH-2-0-TDI-CR-143-AVANT-VERY-HIGH-SPEC-FULL-SEAT-HISTORY-/271677070888?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3f41371e28

Which I feel is better again.

trail_rat
    Free Member

There is a reason its better spec than anything you have seen forthe price

Can you work out what it is .

Ill buy crash repaired cars but not stolen recovered **** that far to much risk

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Thief will have ragged it.

Find another plenty about.

renton
    Free Member

This is a reply from the car owner on a skoda forum as i posted my concernes on there……

Ok, ok, everyone calm down here. It’s my car and so I thought I’d make some comments to counter a lot of the nonsense that’s been posted here.

The car was stolen after we were broken into one night and they took the keys to three of our cars and drove away with two.

The Skoda was reported as stolen to the police and the insurance company the following morning and in fairness to Aviva (with whom the Skoda was insured) they made an offer for the car that afternoon (they apparently make rapid offers because most people don’t want their car back). However, before I could accept the offer the police called to say it had been found.

We were told that the thieves take the cars and then dump them in order to see if they have trackers fitted. If nothing happens within three days or so, they go back and do what they were intending to do (put in a container and send to Europe of break for spares, etc.).

Because the key was not recovered by the police, we needed to have the locks replaced. The car was taken from the compound to a repair centre arranged by the insurance company and after they checked it over they invited me to go and have a look. There was no damage to the car, there was nothing missing (unlike the Audi where they’d removed the handbook wallet, which we never got back) and the tank was at roughly the same level it was before they took it.

I had to wait approx 6 weeks to get the car back due to the delay in Skoda providing new locks.

The insurance company, as I found out today, hadn’t updated the database to say that the car had been recovered. Hence why the check shows the car as being stolen. However, the check also shows that there was no pay out for it being stolen or for the car being written off. The insurance company are now updating the records and the status should change in the next 48 hours.

Now, the OP expressed the concern to me (via txt) that the car “could have been ragged” whilst stolen. Indeed it may, but it was for a journey of approx 10 miles at most! (I’ve owned the car since new and he didn’t seem overly concerned about the way I’d treated it for the other 48,000 miles or thereabouts).

Other’s on here have said that because it was stolen it’s value should be heavily reduced, er why? The car has not been written off, it has a full dealer service history a valid MOT and has never had any paintwork or body repairs. What difference does the fact that it was stolen and recovered (with no damage done) make to it’s innate value?

Other’s have said that it would get picked up by ANPR and it would get stopped – well you’re wrong. In the 18 or so months since it was stolen, I’ve never once been stopped. For those who haven’t bothered to check, there are two databases, one which the police use and which is uploaded to ANPR systems and one used by the insurance industry. Seeing as the police recovered the vehicle, they updated their database. Aviva forgot.

The OP also said that if I dropped the price by £500 he’d still be interested. If his concerns are genuine, I fail to see how a monkey makes him sleep easier at night. I’d already dropped the price by £800.

Obviously it’s entirely up to the OP, or any buyer for that matter, to ensure that whichever vehicle they buy meets their needs, but I do have to say the that turning to forum ‘experts’ for advice can lead to as much confusion and misinformation as it can be a valuable source of useful advice.

Sleep well and don’t have nightmares!

What do you think??

breadcrumb

Walk away.

It’s unfortunate to the seller but stolen recovered cars are devalued.

I’d be looking for more than £500 reduction, that’s for sure.

rickmeister

Given that, buy on condition there is written proof the database is updated and backed up with proof from skoda the locks were changed.

Or stop thinking about it and walk now.

hora
    Free Member

OP find another one. Find the best example for your money. This advice is free, your money isn’t

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Found a car but its showing as stolen??’ is closed to new replies.