Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Found a bag of nails (old riders content)
  • oldgit
    Free Member

I actually uttered a **** me under my breath when I found them.
    A bag of nails from the cobblers. Anyone remember buying these to nail their cleats to their shoes?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Yup, ’65 – ish

Your memory might be slipping, weren’t they called ‘plates’?

Speshpaul

Remember er no. but then i can’t remember whether i’ve “been” or not 😯

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The first pair of proper cycling shoes I had needed the cleats nailing to the sole. I rode without the cleats to wear mark the sole to locate the cleat, popped into the cobbler and he nailed them in on his last. I doubt I’d find a cobbler in town now.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

These are the flattish plates with a slot, to engage with the back edge of a rat-trap pedal? Their purpose is to cause you to fall off in an embarrassing manner if you didn’t flick your toe strap loose?

Or is my memory slipping too?

rusty90
    Free Member

Cleats ? Ghastly Americanism. Shoe plates if you don’t mind, nailed to the bottom of proper cycling shoes, with leather soles.
    How do riders secure a spare tub (or cape) behind their saddle now that toe straps are no more ?

GrahamS

How do riders secure a spare tub (or cape) behind their saddle now that toe straps are no more ?

Would this do, Grandad?

oldgit
    Free Member

Plates, you are right.
    mcmoonter, that’s the method I used. Though for some reason we had an old cast iron foot? thing in our garden that cobblers use.
    I have two Binda straps left, then that’s it.

stevemakin

yup, still got the last as well somewhere 🙂

addidas mercx !

cynic-al
    Free Member

toe straps, even leather ones, are available (I’d say “easily” too, you can mail order them from me :mrgreen: )

old_mtber
    Free Member

As mcmoonter says – ride first to mark the sole and then nail the plates on. I seem to remember my first pair had wooden soles with leather uppers and ordinary laces. Lasted for years until Look came up with the clipless variety.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Found a bag of nails (old riders content)’ is closed to new replies.