Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Fostering agencies
  • baden

My wife and I are thinking about in greater detail at fostering. I have seen numerous agencies offering open evenings with the aim of attracting potential foster carers.

We are trying to understand whether we should be going through a local authority or a charity. I even understand that there are even some commercial businesses who act as agencies for fostering.

what are the strengths/weaknesses of the different types.

For background we are based in Newcastle. Real world experience gratefully received.

mikejd

My wife and I have been fostering for about two years now. First as respite carers, now with a full time placement.

We went to the local authority, in our case Aberdeenshire. It involved quite an extended training process leading to a panel interview before final acceptance – took about 18 months all together. Not sure how this may compare with other agencies.

There is a scale of recommended payments to foster carers, which I think most local authorities will conform with. I have heard, anecdotally, that some charities pay higher rates but on the other hand you may be dealing with more difficult children. Not that most people are in it for the money.

Good place for more information could be ‘The Fostering Network’ – http://www.fostering.net There is a massive demand for new carers. All the best if you decide to go for it.

bigdaddy

I sit on a panel for UKFostering, which is based in South London, but the website may help you with some more information http://www.ukfostering.org.uk. I can also put you in touch with the main man who could talk you through it if that helps, let me know…

baden

mikejd and big daddy, many thanks for those links, I will follow them up.

At this stage we are not looking for difficult placements, that may come at a later stage. I have a 11 yr old step daughter, 4 yr son and 2 yr daughter and would wish to control the disruption at this stage.

My understanding is that placed children are generally younger than ones own children. So allowing a couple of years for the process to work through we would only anticipating young children (2 or under) I would guess, initially.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Fostering agencies’ is closed to new replies.