Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • “Forums”
  • theflatboy
    Free Member

It’s “Fora”, for ****’s sake. Am I the only one who finds this annoying every time I read it?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

WGAF.

lowey

Yes. Get a massage.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Non nobis deliberandum.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Do you rigidly extend native pluralisation rules to words the english language has loaned from spanish, or japanese, or hebrew, or inuit?

In the grand scheme of things, it really isn’t important.

theflatboy
    Free Member

not necessarily. but most of them don’t sound so completely wrong.

Gary_M
    Free Member

single-celled organisms which typically live in the ocean?

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

It’s not fora – nobody says ‘fora’ in real life. We all say ‘forums’.

I bet you do too, so stop trying to start an argument (or try a bit harder). 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

i do say fora 🙁

it’s a mistake perpetuated throughout the mediums 😆

Gary_M
    Free Member

And I think you’ll find that “The English plural forums is preferred to the Latin plural fora in normal English usage.” Smart arse.

Oh ffs you don’t even know how to construct a sentence.

soobalias
    Free Member

while i can ignore it in individual posts, its irritating in thread titles.

theflatboy
    Free Member

@Gary – i’m not so sure. and just cause people are stupid doesn’t mean they should be allowed to be.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Why does it make someone sound stupid? You honestly get annoyed at people saying ‘forums’ instead of ‘fora’, honestly?

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes – English style plurals for latin derived words are widely accepted now. Forum is a latin word but it’s been adopted in English and is now an English word. So its English plural is fine. Plus you sound a right pompous knobjockey saying ‘fora’ or ‘virii’ and the rest.

Do you say ‘a piece of data’ or ‘a datum’ when talking computery things? I’ve never heard anyone say ‘datum’ unless they were talking about graphs. Why? Cos you’d sound a dick.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I suppose it’s the kind of archaic, self-consciously pedantic usage you’d expect from a beardy Marin-riding singletrackworld-dwelling middle class conservative Skoda-driving wannabe internet wit.

But that doesn’t stop it sounding daft, which is why no-one says it. 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

no, i suppose it doesn’t make them stupid. i don’t really think of it on a personal level every time i come on here and read it.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and just cause people are stupid doesn’t mean they should be allowed to be.

is this an eugenic cleansing thing ?

theflatboy
    Free Member

I suppose it’s the kind of archaic, self-consciously pedantic usage you’d expect from a beardy Marin-riding singletrackworld-dwelling middle class conservative Skoda-driving wannabe internet wit.

😆 if i was able to grow a beard i might consider it, but i would never own a marin 😡 😆

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Electronics engineers shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near the English language.

Mind you, neither should I 🙁

AndyP
    Free Member

It’s “Fora”, for ****’s sake.

It’s ‘Forae’, I think you’ll find.

ski
    Free Member

Sorry I am lost, what is a Fora?

😉

theflatboy
    Free Member

It’s “Fora”, for ****’s sake.

It’s ‘Forae’, I think you’ll find.

I think you’ll find it isn’t.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I am sometimes unsure whether it is appropriate to state “I could not care less”, or to use the slightly peculiar americanism “I could care less” with the implication either that I do not or that it is unlikely that I actually would.

On this occasion, I am happy to plump for “I could not care less”.
    But thanks for raising your concerns. 😉

IanMunro
    Free Member

I prefer butter.

theflatboy
    Free Member

well played, BD, well played. 😆

coffeeking
    Free Member

He’s right, it is fora. We are all wrong. I’m changing my ways!

I loved this online discussion for the height of self-importance, in the context of the poster using “forums”;

I want to argue for this at my work because the term fora is being used and I want to know if there’s more evidence that I’m actually correct, besides what the Oxford English Dictionary tells me.

theflatboy
    Free Member

welcome aboard, CK. If just one more person gets a bit pissed off when they next click on the offending button at the top of the page then that’s good enough for me. 🙂

thepurist

To calm everyone down, here’s a picture of some Octopi/Octopusses/Octopodes

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Gary_M is right. Latin is dead, speak in English man!

Data occur so rarely in singular form that the word “Datum” has largely fallen out of use. When unsure, I just roll a die 😆

Dudie
    Free Member

Apparently, the plural of forum, when related to t’interweb is ‘forums’ not ‘fora’

There is an excellent reason for this, what I saw on the tele, but I’m buggered if I can remember what it is. Something to do with ‘forum’ having two, distict meanings in latin, one of which was pluralised to fora and one of which wasn’t. Or something. Anyway, I have written it on the internet now so it has become true.

thepurist

Ahem – this is what the OED says

Could the pedants please get there coat’s? (sic)

Dudie
    Free Member

Yup, that’s the reason I heard. Close enough

Gary_M
    Free Member

No need to get yer knickers in a twist next time you click ‘forums’ then theflatboy.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i still will, i don’t buy into the lies propagated by these new-fangled dictionaries

davidrussell
    Free Member

jeez, just imagine you had something important to worry about – where would you find the time?

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

nickc

You need to find one of those Nutters who thinks he’s the re-incarnation of Caesar, and ask him, he’ll know.

theflatboy
    Free Member

good idea, nick. i’ll start by looking at all the popular local fora. 🙂

Sandwich

As the on-line OED lists two plural versions of Stadium it probably can not be relied on to be the final arbiter where adopted Latin words are concerned. (My theory, the first….) 8)

freeform5spot
    Free Member

wally

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘“Forums”’ is closed to new replies.