Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Forum Verdict on THAT BBC video
  • SaxonRider

I couldn’t see if this has been done yet, so mods, feel free to lock the thread if it has, but…

What do you all make of that ‘Brides of ISIS’ video?

It’s generated quite a bit of discussion among my Muslim friends on facebook, with some finding it offensive, and others thinking that humour is a good way to deal with those evil bar stewards.

In any case: funny? offensive? appropriate? inappropriate?

jekkyl

at least provide a link to the video if you want to discuss it.

SaxonRider

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHGgv6p7uVI[/video]

Jamie
    Free Member

BRB.

jekkyl

that is well funny.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Saw it earlier on facebook. Certainly funny.

What’s offensive to Muslims ? They are not mocking their religion, they are mocking ISIS / Daesh and those who sign up to be Jihadi brides.

EDIT: I have posted Vice News films here before showing children being trained by IS and singing songs about murdering Jews and a film made in Luton where women where being taught how great the caliphate is. That should worry Muslims more as it’s reality and not a comedy sketch.

somouk
    Free Member

I saw this doing the rounds on Facebook. I didn’t realise it was a BBC video, shocked they would allow something as controversial.

BoardinBob

Offensive or not, it’s painfully unfunny

Stoner
    Free Member

shocked they would allow something as controversial.

bloody pleased they would.

bit over worked, but funny juxtapositions. It’s a thumbs up from me Simon!

Drac

What Bob said.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well it amused me. Mind you I also found Achmed the Dead Terrorist amusing. And ‘Allo ‘Allo! which poked fun at Nazi occupation. So I’m probably not the best judge of what is inoffensive humour.

BoardinBob

Drac – Moderator
    What Bob said

Yip.

There’s humour in everything, and personally the more offensive the subject the funnier I tend to find it

However the humour in that video was so predictable and safe that the offense element is completely nullified

It’s like an ISIS Mrs Brown’s Boys.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What makes predictable humour amusing is that it’s predictable.

jambalaya
    Free Member

However the humour in that video was so predictable and safe that the offense element is completely nullified

Charlie Ebdo’s cartoons or Theo van Gogh’s film didn’t turn out to be safe. What do you want to see ?

jamj1974

I didn’t roll around the floor but it was amusing.

BoardinBob

What makes predictable humour amusing is that it’s predictable.

Different strokes I guess

I prefer not to see the punchline coming 10 seconds before its said.

wrecker
    Free Member

Funny or not, it’s pretty clearly aimed at ISIS specifically (and not the muslim faith), so unless you are an ISIS-er or fan, one would be stretching to be offended by it. IMHO obviously.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

No funnier than Hyacinth Bucket ripping it out of middle england dimwits.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

unless you are an ISIS-er or fan, one would be stretching to be offended by it. IMHO obviously.

No plenty of people are offended on the basis that “you can’t joke about that sort of thing”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2017/01/04/real-housewives-isis-bbc-criticised-online-insensitive-new-show/

Vanessa Beely agreed, writing: “You are utterly abhorrent BBC. You are going to joke about mass rape too or the use of children as suicide bombers or make light of your role in promoting extremism to deceived and abused women.

“Sick, you are truly sick in the head and morally bankrupt”.

Don’t underestimate people’s capacity to be offended.

wrecker
    Free Member

Vanessa Beely is a nob.

stewartc
    Free Member

Monkey Dust’s rubbish terrorists did it much better ages OK.

buckster
    Free Member

Perhaps more people should take the piss

martinhutch

Monkey Dust’s rubbish terrorists did it much better ages OK.

As did Chris Morris.

molgrips
    Free Member

Interesting debate. I did laugh in a couple of places, and yes it is clearly taking the piss out of ISIS rather than Islam. However not being a Muslim I’m clearly oblivious to most of the potential offence.

However I can see that it might be horribly unfunny to people who’ve lost family members to ISIS on either side. But on the other hand – humour is a good weapon. The very last thing these people want is to have the piss taken, I’d imagine.

GrahamS

I agree that we absolutely should joke about “that sort of thing”. Seemed funny enough to me and definitely felt it was aimed at ISIS (and those vacuous “Real Housewives” shows) rather than Muslims in general.

Having said that, I don’t think that religion should be beyond satire anyway.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS5-uYLiKmw[/video]

gobuchul
    Free Member

Well it seems to have failed in it’s main purpose of advertising as no-one seems to have noticed it’s a sketch from a new comedy show.

Some of the other sketches were a lot funnier.

ChrisHeath

Different strokes I guess

GrahamS

#wchatalknboutwillis

Northwind

I deplore the overuse of hashtags. Even before Graham S

GrahamS

#luvyoutoo

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I took it as primarily mocking Isis and those who go to support them, but inevitably it has undertones of mocking some of the behaviours and cultural requirements of Islam whether that is deliberate or not. I don’t see what the issue is with mocking any religion. Bring it on, why should any religion be immune to any form is scrutiny than anything else? Certainly doesn’t deserve any form of censorship and why should the BBC have to observe any more strict guidelines on things like this than any other media channel?

The fear of offending anyone or any group of people is not a reason to not do something or to censor anything.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Forum Verdict on THAT BBC video’ is closed to new replies.