Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Forum ride – Severn Valley Industrial History
  • Following the Unknown Engineering Landmarks thread and the suggestion for a forum ride, how about a ride up the Severn Valley starting in the Wyre Forest.
    Starting at the Button Oak free car park…
    Down to the river at Hawkbatch, turn right and ride as far as the pipeline bridge.

Back up the river to Victoria Bridge on the Severn Valley railway.

Continue upstream, past Arley footbridge, to Hampton Loade Ferry.

Past Hampton Loade water works bridge.

And on up to Bridgnorth to see the new footbridge from the station to High Town and the Funicular Railway.

It will be about 35km round trip.
    Most of the route is within sight of the Severn Valley Railway.
    They allow bikes on the trains, so you could get the train upstream from Bewdley or Arley and ride back down if you want a shorter bike ride and a ride on a steam train.
    Most of the riverside path is footpath although, away from the few pubs and car parks, it's rare to meet pedestrians. I've never had any problems.

How about Sunday April 4th ?
    The weather's getting warmer and the trains will be running a full timetable.
    It's a bank holiday though, so maybe a less busy weekend would be better.

Who's interested ?
    Any suggestions for different routes or dates ?

rOcKeTdOg

sounds interesting, will there be picnicing?

mtbmaff
    Free Member

Sounds good to me!

Count me in, any info and my email is in profile or post details here.

Thanks

Matt.

Yes, let's make it a long distance picnic.
    It's a sightseeing trip, not a training ride, so there will be plenty of stops to eat and look at the trains and scenery.

tandemwarriors

long distance picnic

Now that sounds like a whole new riding style…

XC, all mountain, freeride, downhill, long distance picnic.

My vote for long distance picnic every time! Shame its a long way from Scotland.

rOcKeTdOg

What tyres for a long distance picnic ?

tandemwarriors

And is a long distance picnic similar to a crown race?

pistonbroke
    Free Member

I used to do a similar ride a bit further up the Severn following the Silkin Way round Telford, Ironbridge etc, very interesting to follow the old tramways and inclines that coal was brought up from the river. The Ironbridge was an obvious highlight. This was a few years ago so not sure how much has been overtaken by new housing estates, burnt out cars and broken glass. I'm planning a fundraiser for Barnsley Hospice in September which will have a similar theme taking in a lot of the industrial heritage of SW Barnsley using an Orienteering/Treasure Hunt theme

pedalhead
    Free Member

I'd love to do this one, though can't make that Sunday unfortunately as my freedom pass is for the Saturday & I'll be joining Oldgit's ride on Exmoor. Would definitely be interested on another day.

cinnamon_girl

Well done to Graham for getting the first one off the ground. This sounds a brilliant idea but, like pedalhead, I will be in Exmoor on Saturday. Whilst I don't need a pass, it really would be another huge amount of driving for me.

Will look forward to the full report though. 🙂

z1ppy

Sound interesting, tell me though do you know if your 'allowed' to cross "Past Hampton Loade water works bridge" (even 'cheekily') as we used the Hampton Loade Ferry (they take bikes across as well as passengers), but as it doesn't alway run.
    I've been wondering about using the bridge to do the ride again.

The route and date were just suggestions.
    It turns out I'm supposed to be elsewhere on the 4th now, helping with the preparation for a local trailquest, [shameless plug] http://www.midlandtrailquests.co.uk/event_details.php?e=105 [/shameless plug].
    If there's two other people who want to do it, but can't make the 4th because of Exmoor, how about Bank Holiday Monday 5th ?
    I'm doing HONC on 11th and another trailquest on 18th

Don't know about the waterworks bridge, never tried.
    I would guess that as the road in to the waterworks crosses the bridge from the West bank, there is no access from the East bank. If you cross the bridge, you'll probably find yourself in a fenced compound with no exit. Worth a look though.
    You definitely can't cross the pipeline bridge at Hawkbatch.

singlespeedstu

z1ppy.

You're not "allowed" to go across the water works bridge.

I might know a few folks who use it on a regular basis though. 😉

Then through the field onto a nice "path" up through the woods.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

& you could finish with a repeat of the Urban DH, down the steps in Bridgnorth 😛

z1ppy

Then through the field onto a nice "path" up through the woods.

ahh, we came down though the woods to it (then down the river), good to know it is possible to use it. 😆
    Graham the eastern (i think) bank has a spiraled stair-case (IIRC) up to the road.

No replies for 2 days.
    Can I take that to mean everyone is happy with Monday 5th ?

pedalhead
    Free Member

Missed the update. I only have a freedom pass for the saturday (Exmoor ride) so can't do anything else over the long weekend. Have fun though!

peteimpreza

Will there be Bathams?

sc-xc

I fancy this….April 5th sounds doable for me.

mtbmaff
    Free Member

Graham,

April 5th is good for me to, dunno about rocketdog but I'll speak to him soon.

Matt.

Is everyone still up for this ?
    It's not going to be an easy ride. The river bank is very wet in places at the moment.
    Away from the tourist areas, there's no proper path. Riding on rough grass is hard at the best of times.
    I've never organised a forum ride before, so I'll propose a route, then see what everyone else thinks.

Starting at Hawkbatch picnic area at 10am on Monday 5th.
    This is the one on the right before Button Oak if you're coming from Bewdley.
    Down to the river.
    Turn right.
    Ride as far as the pipeline bridge.
    Turn round.
    Ride back up to Arley.
    By this time we will have some idea of what to expect, so…
    Option 1. Continue up the river bank.
    Option 2. Follow Sustrans Route 45 which is mainly on road as far as Highly.
    Route 45 alongside the railway to Hampton Loade.
    From Hampton Loade…
    Option 1. Continue up the river bank.
    Option 2. Route 45/Jack Mytton Way to Bridgnorth which is mostly off road, but a better surface than the river bank.
    Return via the river bank.

Houns

Tempted..Won't know til last minute though

oh BTW The tea room at Arley arboretum does great lemon drizzle cake

rOcKeTdOg

mmm lemon drizzle cake

Houns

Biker friendly, plenty of room to sit outside too

mtbmaff
    Free Member

Change of plans here, so can't make it. Thanks anyway, have a good ride.

Matt.

So who is going to be there in the morning then ?

ctznsmith
    Free Member

this will be do-able on a cross bike with rubbish skills right?

ctznsmith
    Free Member

this will be do-able on a cross bike with rubbish skills right?

Never having ridden a CX bike myself, I couldn't really say.
    Going by the state of the trails today after all that rain, I'm inclined to take Route 45 upstream as it is a Sustrans route intended for all bikes and all abilities.
    Coming back downstream on the riverbank, from what I remember of last time I rode to Bridgnorth, it's mostly a mixture of non technical footpaths and rough grass fields. It is the Severn Way after all, a Long Distance Footpath, so it is all walkable.
    I'm prepared to choose and alter the route depending on who turns up and what the conditions turn out to be like.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

ok well in that case if i can work out where i'm trying to get to in the morning i may very well come 🙂

Last minute reminder and bump.
    The postcode for Hawkbatch Farm is DY12 3AH if that's any help.
    Coming from Bewdley up the B4194, Hawkbatch picnic area is the next turning on the right after the track to the farm on the right, which is just after The Woodlands caravan park on the left.
    If you get to Button Oak, you've gone past it.

Is anyone still interested in this as it never happened last time ?
    My next free Sunday after Bristol Bike Fest, Marin rough Ride and Mountain Mayhem is 27th June. Is that enough notice this time ?
    If anyone wants an opportunity to ride part of the route, I'm helping to organise a trailquest at Alveley this Sunday, 23rd.
    http://www.midlandtrailquests.co.uk/event_details.php?e=105
    The foot ferry is an option, depending on your choice of route, and costs £1.50 for a bike and rider.

rOcKeTdOg

i'm away 27th, ta anyway

pedalhead
    Free Member

I'll be in the Alps (woo!) on the 27th but if this one is delayed further into July i'm still up for it.

Mrs Militant wants to do a Bikeradar forum ride on Long Mynd on 27th June, so I'll do that one with her.
    How about 4th July for the Severn valley ?

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Forum ride – Severn Valley Industrial History’ is closed to new replies.