• This topic has 74 replies, 55 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Shred.
Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Forum members with lots of cash, how do you not buy loads of bikes?
  • onandon
    Free Member

I’ve got a nice a nice balance of income v’s time at the moment. I have a contract for 39 hours a week but I’m done my 12 on Friday so have lots of time to ride.
    Usually home by 5.30 in the week and I only live 5 mins from Caesars camp in Hampshire.

tang
    Free Member

I do ok, but firmly decided that I would work to always have time and live next to trails. I have two nice bikes and lots of time to ride them. I could be wealthier but I support my family, not reliant on benefits and give a bit away each month to charity. My time is my wealth!

deviant
    Free Member

You can only ride one at a time!….I keep a hardtail in fine fettle in case a mate who doesn’t ride wants to join me on a one-off ride.

Otherwise I have too many other hobbies that divert funds from bikes.
    I could have a new 5k bike each year (yes, I’ve just realised how much of a **** that makes me sound) but I prefer instead to have a motorcycle too, I also play golf, play squash, go sea fishing, coarse fishing, gym membership etc etc….I know I would be bored if I restricted myself to just the one hobby, in order to do them all and have the required equipment for each of them I choose to ride modest bikes and limit the number I own.

Currently have three; a road bike, a full suss and a hardtail.

The hardtail cost less than 1k to build, the full suss came to 2.5k and the road bike was 1k.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    big_n_daft
    Free Member

I’m trying not to buy the Trek 69er root beer I have always wanted

beefheart
    Free Member

People always want more no matter what it is and no matter how much money they have.
    You can never have enough of anything,
    That is the sad, human condition.
    Whatever you have is never enough.

onandon
    Free Member

Also,bikes aren’t the the only thing I’m into.
    Ad, cars watches, holidays etc to the list and soon the momey is spread out across quite a few hobbies.

grannyjone
    Free Member

I got lots of money in savings but the reason I don’t spend more on bikes than I have to is that I imagine how much crap I’ve gone through working & commuting X amount of hours to earn the money that it cost to buy the bike or accessory.

tomhoward

I got lots of money in savings but the reason I don’t spend more on bikes than I have to is that I imagine how much crap I’ve gone through working & commuting X amount of hours to earn the money that it cost to buy the bike or accessory.

What are you saving for? Not enjoying the fruits of your labour seems daft to me. No one said, on their death bed, ‘I wish I’d saved more’.

mintimperial

I wouldn’t say I have *lots* of cash, but we do OK and don’t splurge on fancy cars or holidays or whatever, which gives me a bit to spend on bikes. So I have a rule to stop me buying too many: they all have to be green. Properly green, all over the frame, not just with green bits on them.

I have six at the moment. God knows how many I’d have otherwise.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

2 good incomes limited debt (mortgage only) and no kids. Now have 6.5 bikes.. you end up buying upgrades all the time and convincing yourself each bike does something different… so nomad cc, pp shan , high spec anthem and a carbon roaddie for me. Mrs has a stumpjumper and a specialized roaddie. Plus i own half a trials bike…. its really hard not to be taken in with all the marketing bs but here i am trying to not convince myself that a for the week it snows here a fatbike could be worth it…..

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Nb mint imperial you want one of these…

jekkyl

I love the posts they say ‘I’ve got all the bikes I’ll ever need…………but I would like…X’ also some serious addiction is evident. 🙂

BigJohn

You only crave what you can’t have.

Gary_M
    Free Member

People always want more no matter what it is and no matter how much money they have.

Not in my case, I wanted when I couldn’t have, now I can have what I want I don’t want it.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Children definitely put a stop to splashing out on bikes for me. I used to want all the latest gear but now I’m just as happy running SLX as XTR and don’t change things until it’s absolutely necessary. I still have 5 bikes but nothing repeating itself. I race on all of them so they get good use in my eyes.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Double post

hora
    Free Member

Ah yes children. Its like taking on a member of staff in your household costwise.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Space in my flat limits me. Still have 5 though

toby1

Some people just do buy a lot of bikes. Personally I have a commuter, used daily. A bouncy MTB, 2008 Five, used for dirty riding (frame bought second hand), a roadie bought for £40 from a mate, again nothing fancy and a BMX, just for the track. It makes my garage look like I have loads of bikes, but overall value isn’t huge.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

People with a lot of money generally don’t have a lot of time. I could buy another bike that cost £5k+ and not notice it in my bank account but it would piss me off because I wouldn’t have time to ride it.

This..
    Having set off on my own contracting in October, I earn far more than is needed, but work tends to be a long way from my door, and I’m away a lot.
    Still, I’ll keep on, keeping on..

scotroutes

beefheart – Member

You are projecting your own thoughts on others. I could have more bikes than I do, I choose not to.

chakaping
    Free Member

Some people can control their spending, others struggle more. It’s not always related to how much money they have.

When I had a very high income for a few years I had a high turnover of bikes, but mainly stuck to secondhand or discounted models to limit my exposure.

In my experience it’s accessories, upgrades and impulse purchases which cost more than actual bikes, when you’ve got a good disposable income.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’m in the lucky position of having a decent salary and having no debts and don’t spend anywhere near what I earn. I’ve three bikes: a road bike (bought by my wife for my 50th); a commuter/tourer and a hardtail. These cover probably 99% of all my cycling requirements – the remaining 1% would be for visiting trail centres which I rarely do.

So although I can afford to buy another bike or indeed several, I choose not to because I don’t need another. Another factor is that all the bikes are kept in the house so there’s a physical limit to the number (my wife has four bikes as well).

If others want to spend their money on a new bike each year or whatever then I’m fine with that, it’s their money.

hillsplease

In my case you get to the point of ‘there are a lot of things not getting proper use.’ Then it’s just stuff cluttering up the house, or in my case the bike dungeon. Moving stuff to work on bikes is nonsense, as is working on bikes when you should be with your kids or riding. Also the ever changing tool requirements is a bit dull. Kind of an archaeology to the tool chest- for example the BBs (including ISIS) over the last 20 years largely needed different tools. Grrr.

hora
    Free Member

Ive just bought a Diesel shirt from Tkmaxx. I think this describes my spending approach

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

The ability to go out and buy any bike any time pretty much removes the consumer lust from the purchase so the decision to buy or not is made on far better criteria than just “I want”. I’ve not seen anything in the last few years that would enable me to enjoy a bike ride more than I do now, I don’t need different wheel sizes, or plusher suspension. Those things might make the ride faster but it wouldn’t make it more fun.

I’ve currently got 5 bikes but none of them are less than 8 years old with the oldest being more than 25 years old. If anything I’ve probably got two bikes more than I need as there are two that rarely get used.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

I tend to use my bikes in certain places only.Take today rode my Superfly around the Ridgeway and up by Lansdown Tower and Avebury great bike for the area.Yes you could ride a 6″travel bike around there but is a waste of energy to much bike.Have use a CX bike around the same area but ground is to hard now bit hard on the body.Have used an EX8 there to in the past also thought that was overbiked.Yet the EX8 is great in the FOD.Just my way of looking at it.Best bike I have ever ridden on the Purbecks was the Superfly.We are all different.Yet to try a Fat Bike will get one someday 😆

bm0p700f
    Free Member

I certainly dont have lots of cash but i now have 13. Every time i say no more i find something else i just have to have. The latest is a 1948 raleigh record ace waiting to be built up with royce components and a klein quantum.

bensales
    Free Member

I work hard enough that I’m in a position to buy pretty much whatever bikes I could want. But I don’t like things to go to waste. So I’ve got a decent summer road bike, a very nice mountain bike, and about the take delivery of a nice cx bike to replace my winter road bike. I’d rather have a small amount of very good things that I use regularly, than a lot of average things that I don’t.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Ive just bought a Diesel shirt from Tkmaxx. I think this describes my spending approach

What’s buying a 3 year old tee shirt, from what can only be described as a permeant jumble sale got to do with buying bikes?

hora
    Free Member

Reread, it describes my approach to buying. Buy good stuff but cheap. Rare though in tkmaxx nowadays though but thats by the by.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’ve got 4 bikes and paid a total of about £2400 for all. S/h values will probably remain at 1800 forba good while, so I’ve invested 1800 and spent 600 for 3-4 years biking. (plus maintenance).

hora
    Free Member

^good thinking

jambalaya
    Free Member

I didn’t reply initially as I thought the risk of getting flamed was too high.

I like to buy carefully and then keep for a long time, eg I tend to keep my cars 10 years. My Covert frame I got in 2012 has 2006 forks on it. I don’t ride enough or hard enough to wear much stuff out. My Cotic is from 2011 and is still going strong, no need to replace aside from normal maintainence. These bikes replaced the 2006 Reign I had.

As a a side the move to 275/29 has made it much less likely I will replace the bikes, why throw away or sell such great comments as the Hope hoops ?

Shred
    Free Member

I have 3 bikes, a MTB, a road and commuter.

The commuter is an old hard tail.
    My road bike is a disc brake endurance bike. It can take full length guards, so I use it all year.
    My MTB is a TallBoy.

All suit my riding and where I live. I did 200 miles on my road bike yesterday. I don’t really think I would buy more, except as a replacement for my current bikes.

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Forum members with lots of cash, how do you not buy loads of bikes?’ is closed to new replies.