• This topic has 74 replies, 55 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Shred.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Forum members with lots of cash, how do you not buy loads of bikes?
  • jekkyl

I have 2 bikes, a HT soul and a road bike. I’d like a 650b full sus, I’d like a 29er HT and a 29er full sus, I’d like a touring bike with panniers, I’d like a Fatbike and I’d love a carbon road bike The main reason I haven’t got lots of bikes is I can’t afford them. I can’t help but think if I had tons of cash i would just buy all these bikes and more besides. If you have lots of spare money how do you not buy lots of different bikes?

Goldigger
    Free Member

We buy cars instead…

LoCo
    Free Member

They have lots of money because they don’t buy loads of bikes & cars 😉

I am not one of these people…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    qwerty
    Free Member

I think the real question here should be

Forum members with very little cash, how do you buy loads of bikes?

. Dedication to riding through poverty is my guess.

bikebouy
    Free Member

We choose bikes wisely, it’s a trait we have.. Like we don’t waste money on trivial things, we tend to take time and choose something we want, assess it, think more about it, research it, buy it, keep it for ages, then look after it.

When it comes to replacement, we do the above.

But it all comes down to we know what we want.

thecaptain
    Free Member

More bikes means more maintenance and more stuff just sitting around getting in the way. We do have …um…9…between the 2 of us though, if you include unis and tandems. Only 4 ordinary bikes though. Out of the 9, only 4 are actually in proper riding condition right now.

wallop

Space in the house.

darrell
    Free Member

children take all the money
    next the wife
    next the house
    etc
    etc
    etc

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Painful death from “She who must be obeyed”…..twice and at some length

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Forum members with very little cash, how do you buy loads of bikes?

Secondhand/cobbled-together/recycled etc etc

I did have 5 a few years back, while a student and also while giving quite a lot of money away…. but that’s another story.

Now down to just 3 and only one of those cost me >£500

MrSmith
    Free Member

We choose bikes wisely, it’s a trait we have.. Like we don’t waste money on trivial things, we tend to take time and choose something we want, assess it, think more about it, research it, buy it, keep it for ages, then look after it.

When it comes to replacement, we do the above.

This ^
    coming from a council house/free school meals upbringing I’m more of a saver than a spender so will buy wisely and keep for a long time rather than constantly chop and change and tend to buy something good at first instead of the usual bike to work>upgrade wheels> better group set> better frame etc.
    Having friends in the industry and never paying proper money helps too 🙂

cloudnine
    Free Member

IMO Best having 2 really good expensive bikes that are a real pleasure to ride rather than 5 mediocre bikes..

tor5
    Free Member

Coke & hookers?

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

What do you class as mediocre bikes??.Always wonder this do people have more fun riding a £5k bike over a £2k one??Don’t see myself.

thepurist

More bikes just means more time thinking you’d have been better off riding one of the others rather than the one you’re on. It’s bad enough with a hardtail, a Fs and a road bike. Why add more?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Not enough space. I need a bigger house. It’s not that I can’t afford that, but it’s the immense hassle in selling up and moving. Plus means getting a mortgage again when I’ve paid mine off, and that means less money for bikes. Though there’d always be enough 😀

cloudnine
    Free Member

What do you class as mediocre bikes??

The ones that dont ride as well as the good ones.

Not necessarily more expensive btw

jameso

I think that old ‘N+1’ thing is a bit silly*. 3 or 4 bikes is all most of us would ever need and they don’t need to be pricey either, value of a bike is not really related to £ cost, more about what it does for your riding enjoment.
    Really high-end bikes are nice but you need to be able to afford to not get precious and ‘baby’ them, they’re made to be worn out so you may as well enjoy doing it. That’s why cheaper but really suitable, well-handling bikes are so good imo.

Not in the lots of cash camp here, just have access to a lot of bikes. 14 in my garage was the breaking point, like the kid made to smoke the whole pack when caught – it works.

*keeps a few of us on here employed though so I’m not complaining : )

taxi25
    Free Member

What do you class as mediocre bikes??.Always wonder this do people have more fun riding a £5k bike over a £2k one??Don’t see myself.

I do, But I can’t afford £5000 so I wait for a great S/h one to come up for £2000.

hora
    Free Member

I could buy a brand new car, a bigger house, carbon ‘cruz etc but having lived through really leantimes I’d prefer money in the bank.

I still get to own ‘trail bike of the year’ and an ace steel Ritchey roadbike so I dont feel short changed.

People that buy lots of bikes, put droppers on all etc etc I think its not a fun hobby anymore. Its unhealthy.

mattbee

I got bored of having 5 or 6 different bikes that I rarely rode and consolidated into a really nice 5″ travel mtb that is ace for pretty much everything I ride, and a CX bike that covers road riding when I (infrequently) do it or the longer, bridle way and ‘light’ off road stuff that the mtb is a bit much for. Mtb is worth a good 4k+ but the CX bike less than £400. Not about the amount spent as much as getting exactly what I want, if it costs more I will pay it but not just because I want the expensive version of whatever component I is.
    Enjoy riding them both far more than when I had a different bike for every different type of riding.
    Still covet shiny things though, just don’t actually buy them.

MoreCashThanDash

I have a road bike, a mountain bike and a commuting bike. Civil rs all my resume riding. None of them cost more than my lads recentvflute purchase.

I can see a “need” for a CX for a lot of my riding, but otherwise if I had money I’d just buy better versions of those 3

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

I see we are all different.I only use cheaper bikes to commute to work as they get covered in salt through the winter plus I am into road/cross/MTB 2 bikes would not be another 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

From personal experience when I didn’t have much spare money to spend I wanted things, Now that I have a fair bit of spare cash I want less, I have a look at things and think ‘nah I don’t need that’. I have all the bikes I need at the moment and only bike I could see me buying in the next few years is a new commuter as my winter one is getting a bit tired.

scotroutes

Don’t count myself as having “loads of money” but I’m naturally careful with money and will take forever justifying spending it. Sometimes this is enough to quell the desire to spend. Currently have five full bikes in the garage and in the process of acquiring another but that will mean one getting sold in order to release some funds.

tomhoward

If you have lots of spare money how do you not buy lots of different bikes?

Space, mainly.

But also that at the sharp end of a specific discipline/niche I’m not proficient enough to need a specific bike. I’d love a DH bike, a DJ bike, a super light XC bike and a 20in trials bike, but I just wouldn’t do them justice so no point having them

People that buy lots of bikes, put droppers on all etc etc I think its not a fun hobby anymore. Its unhealthy

Nah, it’s really, really fun…

.Always wonder this do people have more fun riding a £5k bike over a £2k one??Don’t see myself.

Absolutely not, in group rides, is the size of someone’s smile at the end of an ace trail/ride different based on the value of their bike? I say this as an owner of bikes at the 😯 end of the price spectrum.

scandal42
    Free Member

I **** love bikes

tomhoward

/\ that

MrSmith
    Free Member

People that buy lots of bikes, put droppers on all etc etc I think its not a fun hobby anymore. Its unhealthy

Why do you think that exactly?

andysredmini
    Free Member

I used to have 10 bikes but recently cut down to 6. Came to the conclusion that it’s better to have less really good bikes than more average ones. Now I have my nomad I honestly think I could get rid of my other mtb’s and just have the one. I have an anthem that just doesn’t suit my type of riding. It’s about the most boring bike I have ever owned and I wish I could get rid but it’s worth nothing. It’s only good for canal towpaths and I could probably fall asleep riding it.
    With regards to the financial side of owning 10 I just saved for them or built them over time. I’m very proud that I have never borrowed to buy them and if I can’t afford something I don’t buy it until I can.
    Also why is running more bikes not the same cost as running one but doing more miles? When I had one bike I don’t remember changing the chain or other consumables every few weeks but one of my bikes always needs something.

Candodavid
    Free Member

I’ve been riding a good few years and gradually realised where, what and how I like to ride, my tastes have changed over the years from xc racer to technical trail riding and have bikes built for the riding I enjoy, I have spent too much over the years to think about it, but now I really don’t need to change them……I would like a carbon road bike now though

matther01
    Free Member

I buy 2nd hand cars…but new bike frame and swap all the components.

shaungero
    Free Member

You have a soul, what more do you need ?

hora
    Free Member

Why? Keeping a row of bikes, all with decent kit on whereas nowadays a decent trail bike can cover many terrain types happily
    I see it like a woman obsessed with buying handbags and shoes.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I see it like a woman obsessed with buying handbags and shoes.

I find that funny coming from a serial bike buyer/swapper.
    A couple of my bikes are £4.5k each the others £1-2k, thinking about another £4.5k+ bike in the future yet I have only ever got rid of 3 frames in 15 years of cycling and own 5 bikes
    I think that’s less “unhealthy” than years of jumping from one frame to another because of percieved issues with them or thinking the next purchase is going to make the riding experience better?

3 bikes for me(the only 3 I’ve ever bought as it happens), an alloy hardtail ’05 Trek mtb bought for £200 a year ago, an alloy Trek ’00 roadbike bought for £750 in 2001 and a steel Specialized touring/CX? bike bought for £125 recently to move Jr around in a rear mounted seat, which I am enjoying riding a lot.

Reckon I’ll always see the benefit in having a local beater, a road bike and a mtb bike.

n+1 says tandem next. Or fixie. Or full squish…

The biggest challenge to ‘the next bike’ is in my view not so much the expense but the time commitment to maintenance.

joefm

I only enjoy riding one type of stuff so my decent bike is the only one i need to be decent! My road bike etc is shite because I dont like riding road, xc etc etc.

Fancy a bmx or jump bike again though…

onandon
    Free Member

I have to really really want a bike before I’ll buy a new one. As has already been said, I research and research and not things for the sake of it.

MrNice
    Free Member

Some times the money to buy lots of bikes comes at the cost of time to actually ride them 😥

There are other bikes I’d like but I don’t get enough time on the ones I have

Steve77
    Free Member

People with a lot of money generally don’t have a lot of time. I could buy another bike that cost £5k+ and not notice it in my bank account but it would piss me off because I wouldn’t have time to ride it. I also put a lot of effort into freeing up time to do things like ride my bike and things like researching which bike to buy, shopping around, arranging test rides, setting up a new bike, swapping tyres etc. would all go counter to that.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Forum members with lots of cash, how do you not buy loads of bikes?’ is closed to new replies.