Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Forum manners/etiquette/acknowledgements
  • rascal
    Free Member

I’m probably going to get flamed for this, but…

If you respond to a For Sale classified ad asking for pics of an item you might be interested in, and then have them sent to you, surely it’s just polite to respond to the seller whether you want to buy or not?
    Twice this week I’ve has pic requests, taken and uploaded/sent and heard sod all back – I know I’d respond one way or the other.
    Mini-rant over 👿

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Maybe if you stuck them up in the first place 😉

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Would it not be easier for everyone if you added pics to your original ad?

scotroutes

I know where you are coming from but if I’m walking along the high street and looking in shop windows I don’t pop in to each shop and say “no thanks, not today”.

If you can’t handle the way it works, just post the photos on your ad in the first place and be done with it.

Jamie
    Free Member

Maybe if you stuck them up in the first place

One rule, I would like to see brought over from BR, is the mandatory inclusion of at least one pic in an advert.

…it’s the only thing I’d take from over from there, mind.

righog
    Free Member

I always assume if you can’t be bothered to post pictures in the ad, that you will not be to fussed about sorting out the transaction in reasonable manner, so dont pursue any ads without them.

Why do you find it hard to post pics in the ad ? Is it a mobile thing ?

creamegg
    Free Member

what they all said ^^^^

fasthaggis

njee20
    Free Member

One of the only rules I would like to see brought over from BR, is the mandatory inclusion of at least one pic in an advert.

+1

scotroutes

Any pic?

fathomer

One rule, I would like to see brought over from BR, is the mandatory inclusion of at least one pic in an advert.

+2

One thing gets me is, ’email for pics’ in an ad, you send the seller an email and here nothing! Why bother post a for sale and then do nothing about it.

fasthaggis

TBF to the OP ,the For Sale and Wanted forums are often devoid of any manners .

Seller .. “Set of really nice XXX ,see photos,mail me if you want any more photos or details”.

First post …Really interested ,but they are not much cheaper than I can get a new set of YYYs from CRC,Wiggle,Evans ..

WTF? Why even reply to the add ?

Jamie
    Free Member

WTF? Why even reply to the add ?

As a prelude to a haggle?

rascal
    Free Member

Ok ok I’ll put my hands up – should have taken pics before I posted the ad – I get that.
    If however your interest has been tickled and you’ve enquired and I’ve responded with said pics, at least a polite ‘no thanks’ reply would be courteous. Or have I got that bit wrong too? 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

Or have I got that bit wrong too?

Sorry, I just cannot see past the heinous act of not originally posting the pics. You’re history’s greatest monster.

chakaping
    Free Member

Much as you lot like telling people that they are wrong, the OP does have a point.

Even if you do put pics in your advert, people will ask you for close-ups etc – and then often fail to respond after you’ve sent them.

And the others who’ll ask details, agree a price before dropping all communication with no explanation.

Oh, and then there are the amnesiac WTD advertisers who post an ad and then fail to reply to any of the people offering exactly what they asked for. Probably because they’ve already changed their mind for the 10th time that day.

Used to be a minority amid the mostly courteous, pleasant users – but feeling more like 50/50 lately.

DT78
    Free Member

haggle?

Careful now, you need to know the magic words to start discussing discounts!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I always assume if you can’t be bothered to post pictures in the ad, that you will not be to fussed about sorting out the transaction in reasonable manner, so dont pursue any ads without them.

+1

Careful now, you need to know the magic words to start discussing discounts!

didn’t we decide its “what’s your second best price?”.

theotherjonv

Why bother post a for sale and then do nothing about it.

This.

And don’t play the – “sorry went away for a few days” – line either. If you aren’t going to be around don’t post it up until you’re back.

unovolo
    Free Member

I’m with the OP on this if they have taken the time and trouble to send pics across, it only takes 10secs to send a reply saying thanks but no thanks if you decide its not for you.

However I do prefer to see a Ad with pics already in it.

breadcrumb

There is a surprising amount of “I’ll have it, what’s your PayPal address.” Then nothing from them. Nothing.

Arseholes.

bigblackshed

I’ve been caught out by the “email for pics”. Receive some photos, reply “no thanks, not for me”. Then had a torrent of emails offering the said bits for a knock down price, eventually receive the “you’re just wasting my time” from the seller.

If you can’t be bothered to put photos in your ad then don’t moan about the time wasters.

Don’t even start with the wanted ads.

bigblackshed

breadcrumb – Member
    There is a surprising amount of “I’ll have it, what’s your PayPal address.” Then nothing from them. Nothing.

Arseholes.

Those are the precursor to “I’ve been scammed by breadcrumb, sent him money via PayPal, still no bits!” threads. 😉

theotherjonv

know where you are coming from but if I’m walking along the high street and looking in shop windows I don’t pop in to each shop and say “no thanks, not today”.

It’s not the same though. What you describe is like looking through the fs ads and not responding to the ones that don’t interest you. Why would you, TBH.

Asking for more details or some more info, or more pics (I agree, ads should have pics up front but sometimes you want to know something else) and then not responding even with a no thanks – that’s like going into a shoe shop, asking if they have those in a size 9, and then when the assistant comes back after having made the effort to get the steps out and get the 9’s for you, only to find you’ve **** off in the meantime without so much as a word of explanation or apology.

breadcrumb

Well, people will randomly “Gift” me money. 😕 😉

beaker

I’m guilty of posting an FS ad without a picture, but I did add a link to my Flickr. I would have added pictures but I couldn’t get them to appear in the ad, not sure why though. Whilst I’m here I’d like to ban lazy links…. If you can copy and paste a lazy link I’m pretty sure you can copy and paste the text from your old advert to the new one?

Drac

Whilst I’m here I’d like to ban lazy links…. If you can copy and paste a lazy link I’m pretty sure you can copy and paste the text from your old advert to the new one?

Exists already.

Include the whole ad in your post. Don’t just lazily put a link to your ad on another website – include all the details in your post. Links to ads on other websites (with the exception of eBay ads that conform to our eBay ad rule) will be deleted.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I’m with the OP. It’s just plain polite to say thanks but no thanks. Anything else is rude. What if its extra pics? Hmmm
    No excuses, if you ask for something it simply bloody rude not to follow it through. +You should be saying thanks when they arrive and then declining or accepting. It’s only a matter of hitting the reply button and typing 1 sentence. As many above seem to think that adding pics is easy then replying is easier.
    As for posting pics, why bother. +It’s far better to link to Flickr or what ever.
    Of course it might help if it was easier to add pics. I see no instructions above.
    What ever the opinions about posting pics in the ad, (which wasn’t bloody well up for discussions so why bother) a few manners cost nowt.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Even if you do put pics in your advert, people will ask you for close-ups etc – and then often fail to respond after you’ve sent them.

I have advertised and sold five frames on the stw classifsieds and about as many forks and put closeups in the albums linked in the adverts, never once been asked for more closeups. Any email messing (and not a great deal come to think of it) has been about price or pulling out once sale agreed. If you can put four or five pics of a frame etc on flickr, it is not a great deal more faff to take three times as many closeups of scratches/tears/whatever and upload them at the same time.

samuri
    Free Member

Remember that saying ‘dibbs’ means you’re in a legally binding contract to buy the items.

Drac

As many above seem to think that adding pics is easy then replying is easier.
    As for posting pics, why bother. +It’s far better to link to Flickr or what ever.
    Of course it might help if it was easier to add pics. I see no instructions above.

http://guidefaq.com/a.php?qid=6080

Speeder

Can’t see the problem with it myself. I try to be nice and polite all the time but sometimes you just forget. Get over it.*

* And post the pics on the ad in the first place then you don’t have to waste your time and theirs in a battle of politeness while people come into “your shop” and have to make excuses about “just browsing”.

konabunny
    Free Member

Why even reply to the add ?

Why even post the ad if you’re only going to list some shagged out old crap for 3% less than the new price?

</flame>

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Forum manners/etiquette/acknowledgements’ is closed to new replies.