Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • fortitude race
  • darkcyan
    Free Member

Been looking around for a fortitude race 20.5 in the classifieds.not a sniff! Where are they all?

I have the ss which is brilliant.

Maybe they are keepers.

slparsons
    Free Member

I’ve got an adventure which I’ll not be getting rid of any time soon; great bikes!

darkcyan
    Free Member

How do you find the alfine – I had a Rohloff once which i hated.

Was toying with the idea of an alfine for longer rides / races but pretty sure they are not the answer.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Mister-P
    Free Member

My Fortitude Race is sat in the shed gathering dust. I haven’t had time to ride it in months. It’s only a 17.5 though so no use to you.

darkcyan
    Free Member

Shame. Too good for the shed!

slparsons
    Free Member

I like the Alfine for what it is, allows me to ride more and clean less!

hummerlicious
    Free Member

I want to sell my fortitude adventure and get the new one, it’s a 19″ if anyone is interested…

Genesis Fortitude Adventure by South Downs MTB Skills, on Flickr

Now has Kinesis strut bars, is tubeless and has done 1000 miles

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got a 19″ (large) one and it’s ace, it mainly does shortish ride through the winter but I’ve done a couple of big loops on it. Really is an excellent climber.

Paceman
    Free Member

Is yours an XL Darkcyan? It doesn’t look that big.

darkcyan
    Free Member

yes it is!

Paceman
    Free Member

No wonder it felt like riding a horse when I had a go 😉

darkcyan
    Free Member

well at 300 you can’t complain.

Actually I really like it – that said the 19 is fine for me as well.

It’s the best bike I’ve owned though I’ve had to tone down the “air time” a bit.

darkcyan
    Free Member

hummerlicious – I think the fortitiude looks better than the Longditude (a bit fussy).

Would you know if the angles are the same?

I think Genesis have done something very clever with the Fortitude – not quite sure what above a very slack fork angle. I’m guessing a steepish seatpost angle to get your weight over the front wheel.

Any thoughts?

Paceman
    Free Member

The Longitude has the extra bottle and rack mounts that most people want from a bike like this, same as the Fortitude Adventure has. Possibly why it looks fussy to you Darkcyan as your SS version doesn’t have these, Genesis explain it well here:

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/blog/30/09/11/fortitude-29er-the-full-lowdown

The Longitude has an even slacker head angle than the Fortitude at 68 degrees and also has the ability to run 29+ tyres so I expect it’ll be a great bike. I seriously considered one when I bought my Krampus earlier this year but didn’t want to wait until the late summer release date in the end. Still, I’m looking forward to seeing you out on the trail on one Hummerlicious, a great looking bike in my opinion and built for overnight and wilderness adventures 😀

jameso

Interesting. Not read that before. I had a quite different take on it when the sample frames were made, that explains the different direction it took.

TimP
    Free Member

You thought about one of these?http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/dmr-chain-tugs-mech-hanger/rp-prod249?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom&gs=1&gclid=Cj0KEQiAs6GjBRCy2My09an6uNIBEiQANfY4zExeejEMIZZ9qh5pE9LwWLzAFQbFvsXvChgty6ZiQj4aAjsF8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have one that took a bit of filing down but hoping it will add gears to the io. Won’t get done for a couple of weeks. Without filing I struggled to get more than 5 gears out of a 9sp set up as it moved when I tightened the qr and the mech wouldnt sit vertically if that makes sense. A bit cheaper than a new bike, but then again it isn’t a new bike!

Paceman
    Free Member

TimP – Member

Have you thought about one of these?

… errrr this would involve Darkcyan doing some bike maintenence which is against his principles as you know Tim 😉

A nice Fortitude video on YouTube…

http://youtu.be/Ndx2WtBlMXg

TimP
    Free Member

True!
    To be fair it is pretty minimal as I have a mech and full out all set up which will be zip tied to frame, then swap chain and rear wheel. 30mins for a normal human being I guess?

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Darkcyan, Paceman – I love the fortitude and think it’s a fantastic bike, but I really want to go for 29+. I find on longer rides it aggravates my back a bit, I think the fatter tyres will definitely help. In reality though I’m skint at the moment, I think I’ll have to get the frame and fork although that is annoying as I’d prefer the green one 😉

The big question though is the size, my fortitude is a 19″, but the longitude is longer, I’m not sure if I’d need the 17″.

Paceman
    Free Member

Hummerlicious, I think the bigger volume 29+ tyres might be just the ticket for you. I did an 8-hour enduro on the Krampus a couple of months ago and it was manageable despite the rocky surface. The 3″ tyres give a nice floaty feel and also allow you to run much lower pressures even with tubes. I’ve been using Surly Knard tyres on 50mm Rabbit Hole rims all summer but have just switched to Maxxis Chronicles for the winter slop.

Can’t help with the sizing question though, I suppose a lot will depend on the stem and bar length set-up you want to use.

Also agree about the green colour of the Fortitude Adventure… very nice.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Are these here Fortitudes fetching good money 2nd hand then?

birney29
    Free Member

I hope so, I’ve got a 17.5 inch (Medium) race about to go up for sale!

Paceman
    Free Member

I think they are quite sought after yes.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Interesting, I’ve got a 19.5″ Race I can’t quite make my mind up if I should sell / swap for a CX bike

darkcyan
    Free Member

In fact I’m after a race. Ideally 20.5

darkcyan
    Free Member

Nb I believe they are good for cx with or without droppers.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Might fit some skinny tyres and give it a go. They are rather nifty bikes afterall, much like any Genesis Steel

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Buy mine then someone, then I can get the new one!!

Paceman
    Free Member
    Clink

@ hummerlicious

Buy mine then someone, then I can get the new one!!

How heavy is the frame? How tall are you?

claudie

Ok after watching the video I’m tempted – Mister P and Birney29 are you interested in selling ( fortitude race 17.5 )

Thanks

darkcyan
    Free Member

Do I get a cut;-)

You’ll love this bike.

claudie

bump

Mister P and Birney29, if you are interested in selling I have put an add in the wanted section

thanks

steve_b77
    Free Member

Claudie – how tall are you?

Paceman
    Free Member

Hummerlicious, this might be of interest…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/genesis-longitude-thoughts/

claudie

Steve-b77, I’m 5′ 9″ with long legs / short body

hummerlicious
    Free Member

@clink I’m six foot tall with a 34″ inside leg. 19″ frame fits me fine, 17″ just felt too short in the top tube for me.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘fortitude race’ is closed to new replies.