Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fort William WC DH with the family in June
  • djflexure

Thinking about taking us all up for the weekend. My kids are 11, 9, 7 yrs and all ride to varying extents.
    Anybody offer any advice as I have never been and don’t know how it would pan out with the family?
    Looking at booking the Gondola ride, they will probably only do one day (presume Sun would be best), but could try pushing it to Sat as well.
    Possibly camp or could get a cottage – where might be best? Are the midges a nightmare?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Accommodation – Torlundy or Happy Valley if there’s anything left, walking/cycling distance.
    Midges – possibly, if muggy and not breezy, but Smidge will see you right.

grum
    Free Member

Great event with big crowds, lots of trade stalls and various things going on – I reckon they’ll enjoy it. Midges weren’t out when I went last time and the weather was pretty damn good.

supertacky
    Free Member

We’ve been going for the last three years with our kids and its great.
    Take you bikes and ride up from Fort William (cycle paths full way). Its pretty expensive when taking kids so we usually go for a ride on Saturday on local trails, BBQ on Saturday night and then pedal up for a family day out on the Sunday. Pay on the gate as you cant be sure what the weathers going to be like. Gondola ticket if its nice weather.

Loads to see and do at the bottom.

Take loads of skin so soft for the midges.

Take cash too as credit card facilities seem to be beyond most of the traders in the pits.

Then race down the cycle path with all the other kids back to Fort Bill

supertacky
    Free Member

Camping at Lochy Caravan site. Booking in advance essential.
    Good atmosphere and reasonably easy peddle up for the day.

djflexure

Just looking at Lochy.

If we ride up from Fort Bill and then take the gondola will bikes be there when we get back?

supertacky
    Free Member

yeah forgot to say that there is a secure bike park. Just take a lock and join all your bikes up in teh bike park. Usually overlooked by the police. We’ve never had any problems. Usually about a thousand bike in there.

supertacky
    Free Member

From the website – “Spectators can bring their bikes to the World Cup but will not be allowed to take them on the gondola. Alpine Bikes sponsor the Alpine Bike Park, just beside the main entrance where you can leave your bike – but remember to bring your lock.”

djflexure

Cheers

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Get some Smidge and be prepared for anything from hypothermia to sunstroke. Don’t hang about booking your accomodation as there will be little or nothing left by June.

Northwind

The midges can be incredible around there, like flying sharks. Quite weather dependent though. I use a heady coctail of skin so soft and jungle formula, which both moistens the skin and melts plastic. Wellies and sunhats.

Up on the moor’s not midgey though, too windy, but the forest can be brutal.

As far as accomodation goes, it gets easier if you look further north. I’ve never used it but a lot of folks have told me that the shuttle bus to spean bridge is quicker than getting back to the fort, and it’s no further to ride.

crawf44
    Free Member

Mass exodus on the cycle path on the Saturday and Sunday may be a bit too much for the kids but a good experience if they can ride with the flow. Shuttle buses from event to Spean and Fort William run all day (and has been free in the past)so you dont need to cycle.

Gondola and a walk down the course if the weather is good is highly recommended.
    Camp sites can get a bit rowdy over the weekend and the Culicoides Impunctatus can get intolerable (Keep it covered rather than creamed)http://www.midgeforecast.co.uk/.Book early if you plan to camp.

Last year we booked a family room in one of the big hotels on the road out of town(heading south)for not much more than a camp site and had breakfast included (the Cruachan I think – be bold – ask for their best/coach rate).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fort William WC DH with the family in June’ is closed to new replies.