Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Fort William route please.
  • NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Sorry If this has been asked before but……….. As the new uplift red grade route will not be open in time. Can anyone give me a route in the Fort William area thats around 20km reasonably technical. Whats the witches trail like? I was thinking it may be all massive fire road climbs and not very exciting. Please advise if this is not the case. Doesnt need to be an epic as we heading to Torridon after! Thanks.

peajay

Give the witches trail a blast there is plenty climbing but that only means you need to come back down again great fun, and when you’ve done that there is loads to explore that used to be used for racing etc before the witches trail was made, try and ride as much as you can on the nevis range map and if you need longer fire road type riding head out and explore the further reaches of leanachin forest, don’t be put off by the climbs on the witches trail the view from the top is smashing and the decent is real good fun, there is so much more to find though, enjoy.
    PJ

proteus
    Free Member

Whats the witches trail like?

not as good as it used to be according to some photos i saw on t’internet last week…

this was once the wall.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    peajay

Ahh, they’ve killed the wall! Always rode better the wrong way mind.
    PJ

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Thanks guys trying to avoid to much fire road. We give the witches trail a try and see what else we can find 😀

AlasdairMc

Devil’s Staircase?

I loved that wall, it was one of the most fun parts of the trail and now it just looks pish.

grumm
    Free Member

Bit too much fireroad in the witches trails for my liking. Still good fun overall though and one excellent section in particular (can’t remember where exactly).

GW
    Free Member

Why not ride the DH track? it’s actually not very technical, just harsh.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

You could try this:

locharkaig_mandally

In retrospect I’d avoid the main part of the loop and just do the southern bit. Start in Clunes at the side of Loch Lochy (beautiful part of the world) and head along the road to Cha-aig Falls. Up the river (not sure how rideable this is these days) and on to the ruin at Fedden. Cross the river to find the path up to the col between Sron a Choire Gairbh and Meall na Teanga. Up to this point will be hard work and you’ll have to carry your bike for a long way, but if you persevere you’ll be rewarded with a truly, truly outstanding descent back to the loch side. It’s a bit of a gamble – the bigger loop involved a LOT of pushing and carrying but the downhill redeemed it all.

Slideshow…

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Thanks guys all info noted!

amosridl
    Free Member

Please tell me that Wall pic is a fake, properly great bit of trail that. Always enjoyed it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Fort William route please.’ is closed to new replies.