Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Fort William and Laggan – bloody brilliant.
  • Vortexracing

Got back yesterday froma fort bill and Laggan trip.

Well done to the trail builders at both centres. The new red at Fort Bill is great, definitely more than a red grade IMHO.

We had fantastic weather on Saturday and a great days riding. Tried the World Cup course and all I have to say is hat's off to the guys that ride it quickly, It is awesome, constant rocks and drop off's, and cliffs!! felt as though I spent most of the run with my arse on the back wheel.

A couple of bad photo's here, I took my helmet cam but was having too much of a good time to fit it and film.Maybe next time. Could have done with an 10" bike that's for sure !!

Went to Laggan on Sunday, Pi$$ed it down all day but what a great trail centre, the black run is definitley hard especially when wet.

I know it's a long way off for most of us, but it's well worth the effort in getting there. Just going to see if we can fit another visit in before the end of September

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

that the fort bill red?
    off to ride it sunday.
    FWIW, its not really a red as you get at trail centres. its a red as its a chunk easier than the main dh track…

laggan is good, was up on sunday too. a bit wet most of the day, cleared up when we'd finished riding!
    black there is probably my favourite trail centre track…

Vortexracing

No, it's the bottom section of the black, you can join it when you get to the bottom of the red

BoardinBob

I was going to say, that looks like a brutal red! 😆

I've booked the last two weeks in August off. Did the same last year and did a southern road trip taking in Kirroughtree, Dalbeattie, Mabie & Ae.

Going for some northern exposure this year and planning on Fort William, Laggan, Golspie & Learnie.

WackoAK
    Free Member

I was there at Fort WIlliam on Saturday also, I recognise the pike's with the orange on them. Agree about the grading, it's not a trail centre red but it's still superb. Joining the proepr DH track at the end is also a bonus.

geoffj

Going for some northern exposure this year and planning on Fort William, Laggan, Golspie & Learnie.

Don't forget Balblair – its supposed to be very good.

Bigles70
    Free Member

The last third of the red on the technical sections is a bit like Laggan and pretty rocky and gives you quite a bit of arm pump. My arms are still feeling the pounding from it ha, ha. I was up on Saturday too and recognise your bike. You were with a group of 3 or 4 eh? It's a great run but I hated the boardwalk, locked the brakes up on it and skidded off headfirst into the biggest rock there, right on a corner, near the end. The last bit still needs a bit of work on it as well and it's as though they A. ran out of money or B. they just decided that was enough for this season as it was running on a bit late because of the high winds slowing building work. Anyway, still a great run and definitely not a red by any stretch of the imagination.

Done Laggan after that and it was excellent in the dry. Every other time I've went's been in the rain and slimey. Heard from mates that about Learnie as well (not been there yet myself though).

We done Golspie last month and it was excellent although you just cycle up a big hill and then come down again. It's pretty rocky on the black as well, I'd advise a full facer. The red section is textbook of how a trail should be built. A joy of a trail and you can coast down without braking at all, really flowing. Definitely worth a visit.

Balblair is excellent as well but it starts off pretty much like a trial bike course and not really flowing. It's a great different kind of trail though and the last downhill section is awesome. Take a full facer to that as well though, and don't wear clip ins.

Vortexracing

yip, sure was Bigles70, what bike were you on?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Could have done with an 10" bike that's for sure !!

one way of making sure your feet touch the floor from the saddle 😉

Bigles70
    Free Member

Vortexracing – I was on a Coilair Supreme, you'd have seen me on the corner after I smacked that rock, Got my top all muddy and everything – the ground was nice and squishy though, was like falling into a waterbed apart from the head part, thank god for full facers :-).

I still hate boardwalk, it's a mind thing, especially that left corner bit where all you can see is nothing, first time round I nearly came off that going too fast.

rolfharris
    Free Member

I think I saw you at Laggan Vortex- white Ventana, right? We were in the big Spokes Cycles van.

Vortexracing

No I was on the grey Ventana, my mate was on the White one. I remember seeing your van

cracking place Laggan, it's nice to see a well stocked shop and cafe, in such a remote centre.

and you know the length of my legs Johnny, i would struggle on a 4" bike let alone a 10" 🙂

rolfharris
    Free Member

The shop is blingtacular. It's a dangerous temptation- you see people boyyed up and on a high after a good day's ride wander in then wander back out with a frame- because they're in such a good mood, they might as well!

geoffj

The shop is blingtacular. It's a dangerous temptation- you see people boyyed up and on a high after a good day's ride wander in then wander back out with a frame- because they're in such a good mood, they might as well!

Or worse – mate came away with a blinged up Cove Hustler ex demo bike 😯

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Fort William and Laggan – bloody brilliant.’ is closed to new replies.