Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Fort William 2011- newbie
  • hora
    Free Member

Never been.

What day(s) should I get up there for, where to stay etc?

Tips really.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ve been a couple of times. The first time I watched the DH practice and the racing so got a weekend ticket with lift pass. It’s not a long walk to the top but it is steep and can be slippy. Invariably you’ll be going in the opposite direction to most people who get the lift up and then walk down. So, unless you really want to save a few quid, get a lift pass.

There are regular buses to Nevis Range that are free with the event tickets. There’s not an awful lot of accommodation within easy walking distance, so get somewhere close to town and think about booking it sooner rather than later if you want choice. It’s a pretty easy ride in if you fancy taking your bike. There’s a secure lock up, although how secure is up to you to test!

Saturday night 4X final usually has a good buzz, but get there earlyish to find a good vantage point. You’ll always find somewhere to stand and watch but some places are better than others.

On Sunday a good plan is to get to the top when the racing starts and then slowly walk back down. I like to get to the bottom in time for the top 10 riders coming in, because the atmosphere is pretty good.

The last couple of years have been pretty good for weather and (relatively few) midges, but go prepared.

There’s plenty to eat and drink on site and plenty of stalls to take your hard-earned. I strongly recommend taking some time to watch the trials riding, which is dotted around the bottom.

All in all great fun and with some careful navigation you can combine a good Scottish all-day XC ride that will finish slap bang in the middle of the action. I’ll leave it up to you whether you then want to ride to the bottom of the hill to pay, if you catch my drift

stilltortoise
    Free Member

PS I may be out on the Pootle at the weekend so I can give you some more tips then.

Mounty_73

I have been every year, sat night for 4X which is very good, but the highlight is on Sunday at 2pm + for the downhill.

We always get a seat on the grand stand and watch the finish line, the whole weekend is good, great with decent weather.

Go, you will enjoy it…..take clothing for all weathers and leave the credit card behind as you can pick up some good deals on the trade stands and end up spending a fortune! 😉

My other piece of advice is visit Laggan Wolftrax if you have the time and you have not been before, well worth the visit IMO.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

When Ive been its always been a fairly last minute thing so have ended up having to sleep in the car, thankfully the weather has always been nice.

Book some accommodation now if your definitely going, either that or at least book at a campsite, they always fill up aswell.

thomthumb
    Free Member

if you are planning on eating in town then get there early (first bus out after racing) as all the restaurants seem to shut around 9-9:30!!

we were in a restaurant that shut even though there were queues of people looking for food!

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

If you’re racing I would get up a couple of weekends before to practice. It’s quite a tough track. 8)

As David says, book now if you want accommodation. If you’re coming from down south, I would make a long weekend of it, say Thursday to Monday and stay in Fort Bill on Sat and Sunday night and somewhere else for Thursday & Friday.

Diane
    Free Member

It’s fabby. This will be my eighth time.
    Biggest tip – take your bike and a good lock and ride up and down to the venue each day – miss the queues for the busses and get to be on your bike (Imagining you are as fast as the guys you’ve just been watching)
    Can’t wait!
    Bike parking usually by Alpine 🙂

Oh and sort your accomodation NOW it’s getting busy already

GW
    Free Member

it’s better on Freecaster TBH

13thfloormonk

Better yet, make a loooooong weekend of it and ride there, we did it last year by getting the train from Glasgow to Bridge of Orchy, riding to the Kinlochleven hostel, next day from Kinlochleven to Fort William via Spean Bridge, and stayed in the Glen Nevis hostel for two nights (friday/saturday).

I enjoy it far more if I’ve ridden there, plus you don’t need to worry about transport to the event etc (like Diane said).

richmtb

I love it, its a great event with a great atmosphere.

Stay in Fort William and use the free buses to get to the event.

Make sure you book your accomodation early though (as in now).

legend
    Free Member

it’s better on Freecaster TBH

+1

If you do go to watch, at least go up to the top half of the track as watching from the finish (which = the same as Freecaster) is s**t (in my humble opinion)

sambob
    Free Member

Lime tree gallery(?) is a really nice B+B, get the bus in to the race. I’ll explain more on saturday.

hora
    Free Member

We might need to discuss this over a pint afterwards.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Grog and Gruel in the main street does exellent tex mex.. 😉

jordie
    Free Member

go when there is no race on and take your bike for some great fun 😀

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Fort William 2011- newbie’ is closed to new replies.