Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Fort Bill to Oban Locals advice please?
  • snappedbanjostring
    Free Member

In the summer i was planning on riding from Fort William to Oban on as much dirt as possible…

Out of Fort William i was looking at taking the WHW south until it reaches(after about 30km) the A82 near Altnafeadh… from there i was looking at getting to Loch Etive and following that south but i was after some advice on the bit between.

I don’t have any map software but the O/S website shows two footpaths from the A82 heading south, one called Lairig Eilde and the other Lairig Gartain.

Does anyone know if either of these owe themselves to a good ride? From the little i have been able to find, i have heard they get boggy and i’m not to keen for a 10km carry/push! 🙂

Or would i be best just sticking to the tarmac off the A82 along the River Etive?

Any local knowledge would be greatley appriciated!!

13thfloormonk

Check these links, couple of good pictures and descriptions.

The Lairig Gartain

Path up the Lairig Eilde

I’ve always wanted to ride those two, never worked it into a trip.

The descent out of lairig eilde looks a bit more ‘abrupt’ although still rideable.

The road down glen etive is pretty scenic, lots of impressive pools in the river.

The trail from the end of the road to Bonawe is pretty good, don’t be put off by the initially boggy and rocky bit, it turns into quite a rolling quad track, but you have to be quick on the gears as there’s lots of steep loose descents into stream crossings immediately followed by steep gravelly climbs.

From Bonawe to Connel there’s no real off-road route i know of, but there’s two quite entertaining routes from connel to oban, one a disused road which is now quite lumpy and loose, and the other a mixture of farm tracks and sheep track.

yetidave
    Free Member

I rode around Loch Etive years ago, and found the top third of the route somewhat slower than the map looked…dunno if its any better now, but there were just lots of sheep trails along the southern side, until the main path kicks in. The northern side may be a better better, I know they did some work on it since then. There is a route out to Loch Awe from Etive, but never done it

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    druidh
    Free Member

I wouldn’t let the thought of riding the road along Glen Etive put you off. It’s a stunning bit of countryside.

snappedbanjostring
    Free Member

Thanks guys, that’s a great help! 🙂

snappedbanjostring
    Free Member

13thfloormonk, any chance of pointing me in the right direction of these two options from Connel to Oban? I am not quite sure i’ve found them on the O/S website…?

Thanks! 🙂

13thfloormonk

This is the ‘wilder’ of the two routes, and probably the boggier in patches. It was always fun when we rode it (a while ago…)

Cross the bridge, then turn left off the road into the old railway siding, and look for the sneaky little path between the hedges and behind the houses. This takes you onto the road that then descends to the shoreline again

Falls of Lora

Follow the shoreline and take the right turn to Achaleven, pass through the farm yard, turn right and follow the landie track to the lochs.

Approaching the Black Lochs from the north near Cuil-uaine

Follow close to the shore of the lochs, where the path turns to singletrack in places.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/browse.php?p=659302

It will turn back to landie track and take you to the ‘back road’ to Oban. turn left when you hit the tarmac, and follow signs to ‘rare breeds park’ and then descend to Oban

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/398003
    http://www.geograph.org.uk/browse.php?p=658404

its nothing spectacular, just a nice wee off road addition on the way to Oban. The ‘back road’ from Connel is infinitely preferrable to the main road.

13thfloormonk

The other route is a bit simpler to find and follow:

Cross the bridge, follow the road down to the loch, turn left and follow the road for 300m towards Oban, keeping your eyes open for a left turn just a the brow of the hill leaving Connel.

On the wee map its the little white road that runs almost parallel to the train track, on the northen side.

Boggy Grassland

http://www.geograph.org.uk/browse.php?p=659305

Follow it all the way, keeping the train tracks to your left, then descend on the tarmac into Oban.

snappedbanjostring
    Free Member

Legend! Thanks very much! Superb knowledge!

My dad has been trying to remember that old road adj to the railway for years, he crashed a car on there back in the late 60’s well before my time…!

13thfloormonk

Haha, local history! Would be an interesting road to drive, some nice dips and rises…

If you’re up for a wee detour, you can climb up from the Loch Etive road via Achnaba farm. its a good trail, although muddy in bits and there are a couple of good water splashes, and you might want to speak to the people in the farmhouse in case their bull is up there!

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/366099
    http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/504238
    http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/499205

Once you get to the top you’ll meet a big fireroad, turn left and climb, then right and continue climbing. Eventually you’ll see a wee rough track going left, which brings you on to the walkers track up Beinn Lora. From here turn right and you have a variety of options, all of which take you down (sharply!) to the village of Benderloch, from whence its a short cycle back to Connel Bridge.

if you keep your eyes open when descending you’ll see loads of wee tracks shooting off into the trees, the local guys are pretty handy on their bikes and have built some interesting lines, if you like steep and off camber anyway!

HeatherBash
    Free Member

LOL – Geograph pics can be a wee bit misleading…

Couldn’t really recommend the L Gartain in your intended direction – the lower half comprises several km of peat hags which degenerate into a gloopy eroded mess in places. These is a discontinous trail but basically you can expect a lot of push / carry across knee deep unpleasant stuff… Eilde is better but the burn crossing 1km in can be very dodgy after heavy rain. You’ll also be pushing up to the col after the second burn crossing if it’s been wet. Descent is technical in places – particularly around the third burn crossing which is very airy around the gulley.Not a place to clip a pedal;-)

TBH I’d follow Druids advice and go down the Glen Etive road – it’s one of the few road alternatives where you aren’t exactly short changed.

Or better still just follow the WHW to Victoria Bridge, go down Glen Kinglass (apparently now deemed a classic ;-)and out along the South side of Loch Etive. All rideable and every bit as scenic…

snappedbanjostring
    Free Member

Interesting! Hadn’t even noticed that trail along the Glen from Victoria Bridge! Looks like it has potential!

All really helpful stuff guys! Keep it coming! 😉

HeatherBash
    Free Member

that was slightly tongue in cheek – Kinglass is your best option

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I’ve ridden a circuit around Buachaille Etive Beag, starting at Altnafeadh through the Lairig Gartain (very boggy in places) to the col. The descent to the junction with the Lairig Eilde path is nice in places but a lot of it is narrow and worn into a bit of a trench which makes it difficult to keep any momentum on. The path over the Lairig Eilde is much better and makes a superb descent back to Glencoe.

If you’re coming the other way, I’d come over the Devil’s Staircase (superb), pick up the track which parallels the road (to the N) as far as the new car park where the big cairn is and then head south through the Lairig Eilde. It will involve some pushing but you’ll get a cracking downhill into Glen Etive – very steep in places. I’ve pushed up this from Dalness and wished I was going the other way!

Stunning bit of the country!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Fort Bill to Oban Locals advice please?’ is closed to new replies.