Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Forrin' MTB destinations
  • sofabear
    Free Member

A pal and myself are planning on a week’s MTB trip in the second or third week in September.

Ideally we want guided and definitely uplifted for the most part. The dates are set in stone due to uni commitments so we want to make the most the time we have. We’re also faffmeisters who excel in procrastination so anything even remotely structured would be a step in the right direction.

Obvious choice was the Alps but it seems that most of the ski lifts are closed from the beginning of September.

Any suggestions on where we should be looking (Pyrenees/Eastern Europe/Italy) or companies to approach would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately the dates are set in stone due to uni commitments (another reason why we’d rather just pay someone

FWIW, we’re not serious downhillers, preferring the blues and reds at BPW and Antur Stiniog.

TIA. 🙂

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Sierra Cycling

Puremountains

Ben Jones MTB

Google them ^

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Riviera in Italy, or Ciclo Montana in Spain.

Both ace.

julians
    Free Member

switchbacks AM in bubion ,southern spain – excellent mostly uplifted riding. Great trails, great guiding, nice village .

Intro

The mountain bike adventure in Lagos Portugal – excellent totally uplifted riding, more tech/steep than bubion, but good still, and improved my riding no end (blue/red antur stiniog rider also). again great guiding, etc.

http://www.themountainbikeadventure.com/

professor_fate
    Free Member

Garda would suit I reckon, shuttles rather than lifts, good value and pretty reliable weather. It’s not all bonkers techfests and there should be plenty of cheap accom at the time you’ll be going. Just buy a trail map from any of the bike shops and follow your noses, or use the free guiding at Torbole Freeride courtesy of Michael (of this parish, top bloke)

RustySpanner

We went somewhere called ‘Wiltshire’ last year.
    Yes, it’s expensive, we had trouble with the language and the food was a bit odd, but the locals were far from the savages we’d been warned about.

I’d recommend it.

Fat-boy-fat

We’re off to Finale Ligure round about that time for a similar idea. Looks right up your street.

Been plenty of other places as well (Verbier, ride Sierra nevada, Madeira, Morzine, Lake Garda). They’d all suit you as well I reckon.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

White room?

Mackem
    alan-sierracycling
    Free Member

Based right on the beach – Sept weather will will perfect for you here.
    Stunning singletrack rides with plenty of bus uplift during the day & fun après-bike on the coast at night.
    Just 520 Euros for a packed week!
    http://www.sierramtb.com fantastic biking since 1992

michaelcycle
    Free Member

Garda would suit I reckon, shuttles rather than lifts, good value and pretty reliable weather. It’s not all bonkers techfests and there should be plenty of cheap accom at the time you’ll be going. Just buy a trail map from any of the bike shops and follow your noses, or use the free guiding at Torbole Freeride courtesy of Michael (of this parish, top bloke)

I’m the Michael – but I can’t reply to this with any information as my posts get reported and deleted by the moderators. I’m not sure why. The rules clearly state “No Trade or business advertising – except bona fide retailers may respond to genuine enquiries from potential customers.” – so I’m not quite sure how I’m not complying. I’m replying to a specific request for information from a potential customer. If I’m bona fide then it’s ok it says. Or is my English out of date?

michaelcycle
    Free Member

Having spoken with the moderators, my post was mistakenly removed, so here it is again. I should point out that I run the trips and stand to benefit by having a great time showing you around. Lake Garda or Finale Ligure, 7 nights (or less or more) self catering or hotel, 6 days riding guiding and 6 days shuttling, from £425 http://www.rebbens.info – give it time to load 🙂

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I know Michael well and have done a couple of trips to Garda with him and one to Finale.
    Both excellent destinations. Quite different characters though; Finale is fast and flowy with a bit of tech thrown in; Garda has more technically challenging stuff if you’re seeking it out but loads of easier choices if you’re not.
    I’ll be doing both again.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Forrin' MTB destinations’ is closed to new replies.