Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Formula the ONE brakes squealing like, is this normal/?
  • vondally
    Free Member

Hello just had the first ride with new to me but hardly used formula the one brakes, with new rotors 180 f 160 rear cleaned before fitting

they squeal like a banshee, no other brakes not even my hopes come close to the volume..is this normal?
    Solutions please
    new pads

Next they have reach adjuster and a gold knob from the master cylinder what does this control? The are very much on or off I thought they had some modulation?

They seem powerful but the noise is deafening!

chillidave
    Free Member

My brand new set did this, I properly bedded in the pads but they lasted only a few rides and squealed like hell while doing that. New pads from Uberbike fixed them for me, I suspect most other brands would do the same.

chakaping
    Free Member

Not normal.

What did you clean the rotors with? Sometimes brakes squeal for a bit after spraying with chemicals IME.

andyb39
    Free Member

The knob on the master cylinder’s supposed to be a bite point adjustment. Have a play and see if it makes much difference to the on/off feel.
    As for the noise, are the calipers perfectly aligned to the disks? My formulas make an awful racket if they’re even the slightest bit out.

vondally
    Free Member

Cheers…will recheck the alignment/cleaned with muc off and left to dry/ new pads may try this as well.

Yes played with the bite point which seems to make little difference but will have another fettle.

VanHalen

my formulas squeel in teh wet. really bad. I’ve not found a pad that doesnt and i’ve had em for about 10 years.

with regards to on off it may be they are just more powerful than your old brakes. when i bought new shimanos i was using hayes 9`s before and the difference was shocking. i kept locking up everywhere. after a week of 2 i was all fine with em.

cchris2lou

Check the discs bolts are done up properly.

superfli
    Free Member

I find sintered pads do this. Well sintered Uber pads did. Changed to Race matrix and problem solved (although they do squeel for a while when wet).

vondally
    Free Member

checked the bolts when I was out, my first though

it is the feel of the brakes it is literally a touch and full power, happy towards the .end of the ride but just felt very on off

maxtorque

I ditched the lightweight formula rotors for some Shimano ones with the nice stiff cast centre “spider” (that carries the actual braking surface part). Stopped all the squealing (mine would always squeel when wet, and sometimes on cold days when dry). IMO, the formula rotors which look like this:

are very light, but simply not stiff enough to avoid squeal!

Compare to these Shimano ones:

Northwind

vondally – Member

it is the feel of the brakes it is literally a touch and full power, happy towards the .end of the ride but just felt very on off

They definitely shouldn’t feel like that- they’re very powerful brakes, popular downhill bike choice but they’re very subtle with it

I’ve got the bad squeally brake touch but I have no more bother with the ones than with any other brake I’ve hexed.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Formula the ONE brakes squealing like, is this normal/?’ is closed to new replies.