Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Formula RX rotors wearing – bad design?
  • teef
    Free Member

Just got back from Alps holiday and noticed the brake rotors are badly worn with a ridge in the middle of the braking area. The problem seems to be that the drilled holes are in 2 concentric circles which means the solid section between wears less than the drilled area.

Link to Chain reaction if my description is not clear:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=64788

Brakes are only about 1 year old so seems like bad design rather than normal wear and tear. Other manufacturer’s rotors seem to have the drilled holes spread evenly across the braking area so you don’t end up with this uneven wear. Anybody had similar problems and had any luck getting replacements?

br
    Free Member

Brakes are only about 1 year old

What has age got to do with rotors wearing?

Measure their thickness and see what they’ve lost – my Ashima ones had lost 50% of theirs 😯

teef
    Free Member

What has age got to do with rotors wearing?

OK – but it’s the uneven wear I’m concerned about – it’s never happened with other brakes I’ve used (Shimano, Hope) with similar usage.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

That does sound Like a design oversight, IMHO.

How thin are they in the thinnest spots?

I would guess that if they are thinner than the quoted min thickness on the manufacturer’s website they are “Not fit for purpose”.

Email the distributer? YMMV

oldfart

At last someone speaking my language! Had one go scarily thin after 4 months in Whistler . Brought it home sent it off to distributors ( can’t remember who off top of my head ) I reckoned it was a design fault looked more holes than metal ! They just waffled and didn’t do anything about it

chakaping
    Free Member

Well known design feature. Prvious design was much better. God knows why they still make them like that.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Yes, they’re **** awful. Seen loads like this.

My theory is that the solid section between the 2 rows of holes is too narrow and hence it all gets work-hardened when the holes get drilled.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The holes won’t be drilled, the whole rotor will be stamped. Normally disk holes are offset,

bentudder

I’ve seen that design rotors with that problem – basically a furrow where each row of holes is. They shouldn’t be like that – other designs have offset rows. I have an earlier version of the Oro rotors, and they have no noticable wear after about six years’s use.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Formula RX rotors wearing – bad design?’ is closed to new replies.