Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Formula RX opinions?
  • mudmonster
    Free Member

Please anyone. Read a few conflicting articles.

chakaping
    Free Member

they’re pretty good

v light, good looking, reasonably reliable – quite good performance

squeak a bit in the wet – only used stock pads though, which wore quick

mudmonster
    Free Member

Thanks, read a few reviews saying they were really powerful. In an old singletrack there were a couple of bikes with them. They said they were not very powerful. Heard they were a bit noisy.

neninja
    Free Member

Bikeradar had a 4.5 star review up saying they were powerful, great modulation, no fade etc which suddenly changed to a 3 star review recently.

Personally been very happy with the set I bought last year. They can lock up either wheel easily so more than enough oomph, are pretty controllable and once set up have been fit and forget.

The pads do run pretty close to the disc which I like as it means instant bite but it does also mean they can be a little noisy when wet or gritty.

I’d buy another set quite happily (had I had more funds available at the time I would have bought R1’s)

messiah
    Free Member

I was underwhelmed at the start but mine have got better with use, I guess they take a while to bed in. I had 203mm Hope V2’s before and I prefer the 203/180 RX’s. I don’t miss the adjustments on the levers as I simply don’t need to fiddle with them, wheras I struggled to get the V2’s comfortable and ended up twiddling on most rides. Power wise the RX’s are perhaps not quite as strong as the V2’s but this makes them less grabby which I like. Pad clearance is mentioned as an issue but it’s no worse than other brakes I’ve used. I’m still on the original pads despite some serous hammering (Macavalanche included)… pads still look good. Perhaps those reviews which state lack of power were not bedded in yet? Or possibly not bedded in properly with glazed pads. Mine stank for a few big descents but once the smell went away the performance improved and I am now chuffed to bits with them… I love the levers, so much better than the Hope’s or the Elixir’s on my other bike.

Actually… I hate them… don’t buy them, especially not when they are really cheap on the classifieds or ebay… as I’d like some more to replace the Elixir’s 😉

oldfart

The rotors on mine wore out in a strange and scarey fashion , was told it was because i hadn’t used genuine Formula pads ?

superfli
    Free Member

Very cheap at http://www.purebikes.fr

mudmonster
    Free Member

The link doesn’t work

grum
    Free Member

Have a look at Formula’s site, they sometimes have mega bargains.

neninja
    Free Member

It should have read http://www.purebike.fr

Kato

Mine are excellent, but really noisy

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Formula RX opinions?’ is closed to new replies.