Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Formula RX Hose Shortening…
  • iforwilliams
    Free Member

Looking to shorten my uber-long hoses. Can anyone advise whether this is the correct shortening kit:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/formula-hose-join-kit/rp-prod81743

as it appears to be ever so slightly different to that on the Formula website:

renton
    Free Member

pretty sure thats what I got when I shortened my back hose.

Cant check the website as the crc site doesnt give order history any more?

monkeyp

The picture you have posted is the right one, the crc one is an extension kit

iforwilliams
    Free Member

Hmmm….thanks. Any idea where I can get this shortening kit?

Marmoset
    Free Member

I carefully cut the barbs out of mine to re use them and used some magura olives that I had lying around. All seems to work okay.

renton
    Free Member

Chain reaction list the olive and the insert separate so you could get them there!

stevied
    Free Member

Re-used the barb and got an Avid olive from my LBS. All good so far and didn’t need to bleed the brake too 🙂

iforwilliams
    Free Member

Ah, just seen the bits on CRC ta.

Re cutting the hose and trying not not necessitate a bleed, are cable cutters or razor blade best? And how should the lever/ cylinder be positioned when cutting the hose?

Sorry, hydro-numpty here…

Blueadvocate

That link is not a shortening kit but the pic is.
    Very similar to the kit for “The One”

The One Kit

That CRC one is the same as the stuff I got from Formula when I bought brakes direct. According the instructions I got the kit is the same for The One/Mega/RX/R1

Get the one in the link above.

Oh and after doing it you don’t need a full bleed; quite easy to pull a few bubbles out using a bleed kit syringe on the master cylinder end.

Northwind

It’s easier to melt the barb out than to cut it out incidentally- remove o-ring, cut it short, set it on fire, wipe off the melty hose. Probably don’t breathe the fumes.

renton
    Free Member

When I shortend my hose I took the whole unit including caliper of the bike and clamped the lever in a vice and let the caliper hang.

I also took the pads out and pumped the pistons out so there was just enough room to get the tip of a screwdriver in to prize them apart after.

Doing this means that any air that gets trapped in the hose when you disconnect it from the lever can be got rid of.

monkeyp

I just cut with a Stanley and re-connected – no bleed required – simples

iforwilliams
    Free Member

Cheers all for the advice 😀

bacondoublechee
    Free Member
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Formula RX Hose Shortening…’ is closed to new replies.