Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Formula RX Brakes – Help Please
  • articularslinky
    Free Member

I have recently bought a Mondraker Foxy RR which I love but I have a problem with my Formula RX brakes (particularly the back one) and was hoping someone might be able to give me some insight.

There is hardly any modulation and you only have to touch the lever gently and they are almost full on and the back wheel locks up. I then start skidding and if it’s a particularly steep drop usually end up with the back wheel at the front and me on the floor.

Everything I have read suggests they auto adjust and have great modulation, mine just seem to be on or off at the slightest touch. I have just had the pads changed at my local bike shop but it hasn’t made much difference. I had to change the tyres over almost immediately when I first had it and getting the wheel off the back was really tricky (pivot bolt jammed tight) was wondering if I could have knocked anything out of line but the guy at the bike shop said it looked fine.

The brakes are not the latest model with the bite adjuster on the lever unfortunately.

Any ideas would be really welcomed as I am struggling and losing confidence in an awesome bike….

Thanks!

starsh78
    Free Member

I have the same bike! i threw these away and bought XT.

the end.

weeksy

Formula brakes are ‘tight’ on the piston/pad clearance.

There’s no real way around it. Formulas are GREAT.. however come with issues within their greatnes.

messiah
    Free Member

If you think RX are on/off powerfull you wouldn’t want to try THE-ONE’s 😯

How have you got the lever set up? I’ve found with Formula RX/TH1/R1/etc they only really work for me with one finger braking. I have the lever set up almost as close to the bar as it will go, and brake with my finger right on the hooky bit at the end; powerful and comfortable.

After bleeding mine (hose shortening) and fitting new pads I did once find mine a bit more on/off than they used to be. Easy fixed by leaking a little fluid out from the bleed nipple so the lever bite point was back where I wanted it. May or may not help you.

wobbem
    Free Member

Are you using 1 finger on the lever for braking?

I use formula rx (2010/2011) and I don’t have any of the problems you have mentioned. I can comfortably slow down or stop with my pinkies. In fact I love my formulas and it sounds like you may have a duffer

piemann
    Free Member

I run RXs on my Soul and found that new pads cause them to really stiffen up, so that they feel quite digital until the pads have worn in a bit (quite a bit actually). Then they start to give you a good amount of modulation. Superstar kevlar pads are the worst culprits IME, not due to quality, but due to being a bit thicker than the Formula ones. It’s a small irritation that I don’t really mind since they are ace at stopping me.

Yetiman
    Free Member

As above. And another vote here for one finger braking and / or bleeding a tiny bit of fluid through the nipple. I really like my RX’s and they only feel on/off straight after a pad change, they soon improve once the pad starts to wear.

5AM
    Free Member

I ride The One, and initially they were a little on off but part of that was I think a) new pads and b) me getting used to them.
    Personally I’d try riding them a little more, and I think soon you could be loving them.
    I know I do. 😀

maxtorque

Silly question, but you have checked your rear disc is true and centred in the caliper?

articularslinky
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice…

I have been doing two finger breaking and the levers are quite far out. I only have tiny hands (girl) and it sounds like I pull on them a little too much. I will try and adjust the lever and my style of braking and go for braking to right at the end of the lever with one finger.

I’ll also check the rear disc is centred right. I’ll let you know how I get on if it ever stops snowing and I can get my bike out.

Thanks again 🙂

neninja
    Free Member

As mentioned above you really only need one finger. Move them in away from your grips so that you only get 1-2 fingers on the tips of the levers and adjust the span closer in the bars.

I have small hands and have mine adjusted pretty close in. Too far out and you lose the sensitivity – it’s a bit all or nothing.

weeksy

all you boys who love Formulas should buy my cheap ones 🙂

articularslinky
    Free Member

Right then, I swapped my brakes and gears around so that I could only one finger brake. I pulled in the levers as suggested and voila – loads better and no more falling off.
    Thanks everyone f

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Formula RX Brakes – Help Please’ is closed to new replies.