Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Formula RX brakes
  • glen815
    Free Member

Are the subject brakes any good or should I bung on some Hope X2 when I get my new wheels?
    I have heard of pad clearance issues and so on.

excitable1
    Free Member

I’ve been running RX’s on the FS for 2 years and SLX on the HT.

For stopping power the RX win every time. Amazing break you can constantly rely on. True they don’t have much disc to pad clearance compared to the SLX’s and subsequently the pads don’t last as long but the performance more than makes up for it IMO.

People I know with the Hope brakes have had some major issues which is disappointing given I know and trust everything else they do, but they could just be exceptions.

bowglie

I own/have owned 2 bikes with RX’s and haven’t been all that impressed with ’em TBH. Pad clearance is definately an issue if you do a lot of muddy and/or gritty rides. I’ve also found that their power can be a little inconsistent, which doesn’t appear to 100% cured by rebleeding – although saying this, I am a bit of a perfectionist anorak when it comes to consistent brake feel and power.

I think the RX’s may have a bit more outright power than the first generation Hope X2’s, but FWIR, Hope have modified the lever to increase power on the latest X2’s (I stand to be corrected on this).

From previous experience of Hopes, Formulas, Avids, Magura and Hayes, I’d go with the Hopes and just run ’em with larger rotors if you find they’re a little short on outright power.

HTH

fakesounding
    Free Member

Run RX’s on my enduro after binning the elixirs that came as stock, amazing consistent stopping power and no problems so far with them.

Kato

SOld my RX’s and replaced them with Hope X2 Evo’s. The RX’s were better IMO

Think I prefer an on/off brake, maybe the Hope’s have similar power but it seems like an age before it arrives

neninja
    Free Member

Have been running RX’s on my Helius for over 2 years with no issues.

They do get through pads quicker than some other brakes I’ve had but they just work with no problems.

FOG

I had RXs a few years ago and liked the power but found them pernickety to look after so gave them to my son who loves them and has had no problems! Perhaps I had sorted the problems but didn’t have the patience to profit.

Rx’s are the best things on my shockingly expensive bike

bigj205
    Free Member

I’m running Rx brakes on 2 bikes with no problems whatsoever.
    Excellent power and feel,amalso running Hope M4 on my Turner also with no issues.

MarkLG
    Free Member

Recently bought a pair for £135 from Merlin – they’re probably still on offer.
    They seem well made and plenty powerful enough, but I’ve had a few issues setting them up. I think this was mainly due to the standard pads disintegrating in about 50 miles. Just fitted some EBC sintered pads, shortened the hoses and rebled them, so fingers crossed they should be OK now.
    The main problem I can see with them is the lack of pad clearance which makes for fussy calliper positioning.
    Unbeatable value at the price I paid, but I’d probably go for Shimano XTs if they weren’t on offer.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i personally think formula are the best brakes out there by a country mile (ive owned rx/rx1 and now have the latest formula the ones)

the ones are out of this world, power is insane, great feel, never ever ever feel spongy (could be down to the great mechanic that bled them)..and if weights an issue they are the lighest by a fair margin for the power they have, they also look pretty cool too and are nice and simple and not bulky in the slightest….great brakes

i had the rx and sold them to my mate, he loves them more so than the xt he had before

ffej
    Free Member

Just bought some RX Tunes from http://www.bike-discount.de/ (RX’s with adjustable lever position and pad position) – Some good bargains on there for Formula stuff..

Have run Oro K18’s for 4 years and loved them.. but the lure of the shiny shiny got to me so they’ll be going on to my spare bike..

Jeff

Yetiman
    Free Member

Love mine. I’m running 180/160 discs on my 29er full suss and apart from the silly steep fast stuff I haven’t found them wanting.

passtherizla
    Free Member

yep like mine too… never had any issues.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Running them at the moment – IMO the only brakes that surpass them are Saints

freeagent
    Free Member

Love my Formula brakes but they are hard to set up without the pad rubbing the discs.
    The lack of pad clearance is also an issue when its really muddy, however on a good day, the power they provide is awesome.

messiah
    Free Member

I love the lever position and the hook at the end. For my hands the comfort and ergonomics are near perfection and nothing else I’ve tried has come close. Power on the RX is good and I’ve had no maintenance issues in the two+ years I’ve run them (I’m very hard on kit). I have had some rubbing disc issues as the clerances are tight, but not much worse than other brakes and if your discs are straight they are fine.

The TH1 is better for outright power which is why I’ve subsequently upgraded to them on my big bike… but the RX was in no way dissapointing and have been great with 160/180 on the little hardtail I hammer most of the time.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Formula RX brakes’ is closed to new replies.