Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Formula Rx brake 'judder'
  • ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Hi, got Rx brakes on my zaskar with Rx rotors and the original pads. They generally work fine but it’s the noise, feelin under heavy braking. It’s almost like abs, and a definite judder.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Ash

watsontony
    Free Member

hit it with a hammer and buy hopes

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Cheers tony, good advice. Need to buy a hammer!

Northwind

Is this new or did it always happen? Original Formula rotors or someone else’s?

Juddering can indicate contamination but you’d usually have other symptoms too.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

It’s happened from day one, thought it might be a bedding in issue. But it’s not. They are new rotors! They came on the bike!

Northwind

Hmm. Quick google suggests the Zaskar ships with the lightweight Formula rotors (lots and lots of round holes). Which if so, do wear a bit fast but aren’t usually juddery. Crap spec choice frankly but shouldn’t be the problem here.

I’d give everything a good clean and eyeball check, see if there’s any uneven wear etc, probably scrub the pads back with a scotchbrite pad and refit, see what happens- good for diagnosis if nothing else. Check alignment and bolt tightness obviously. Basically standard misbehaving brake process.

watsontony
    Free Member

hammer and hopes!

Frankers
    Free Member

I have had this in the past with Avid brakes, did you bed the pads “and rotors” in when you first rode the bike?

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Cheers north, will get on that. All bedded in so shouldn’t be an issue there.

coatesy
    Free Member

Check that the pads don’t overhang the braking surface, and catch on the spokes of the rotor. I had this with Hope Mono minis, a change to a Shimano rotor with a deeper braking surface(and round profile)sorted it.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Turns out coaster was right. My pads are overlapping the main rotor surface and slightly catching on the arms. So without buying new discs how do I rectify this? Cheers

Ash

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Formula Rx brake 'judder'’ is closed to new replies.