Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Formula rotors with Shimano brakes – any reason why not?
  • razorrazoo

Want to replace my Formula RX brakes with Shimano. Any reason why I can’t keep the 180mm Formula rotors as it seems most new brake sets come without rotors?

chakaping
    Free Member

go ahead, been doing it for years

maxtorque

Wrong way round imo! (if you don’t squealy brakes!) The formula rotors are nice and lightweight, but ime, that means they really squeal easily)

But other than that, no reason not to keep the formula rotors

Northwind

Is it the ones with the 2 rows of round holes? They should fit fine but they’re a bit shit, they wear very unevenly so make sure they’re in decent nick first.

(the other type formula do, their “standard” rather than “lightweight” rotor, is much better ime. The lightweight one used to be basically XC race only but now they sell it with everything because lightness sells. Kind of a dick move)

razorrazoo

Those are the ones Northwind. May just have a look round at the deals with and without rotors and go from there.

onehundredthidiot

Had my formula rotors for 2years, 3000km and they are knackered much more so than any other rotors I’ve ever had. I think they’re just a bit rubbish.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

To go against the some of the views above been using formula rotors with saints for the past 18 months with no issues or break squeal when using original shimano pads (superstars squeal like a stuck pig though). Pretty sure they are the lightweight rotors (2 sets of holes on the breaking surface) and 5 years old now, used in the grinding paste mud of the Peak District most weekends and show minimal wear

beagle
    Free Member

Likewise sofa boy!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I had no idea there was a potential issue, picking up a Formula Oro 180mm and a Lightweight 160mm for £10 total at PX, to use with the Wazoo’s M355 discs and pads!

Seems to work fine, mainly bought for convenience, so I have a set of rotors fitted on fat and NotFat wheels for a quicker swap out.

Might be coincidence, but it took a fair bit of tweaking to get rid of a bit of disc rub on the front.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Formula rotors with Shimano brakes – any reason why not?’ is closed to new replies.