Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Formula Hubs – Cartridge Bearing Change
  • cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

I’ve noticed that the rear hub on my hardtail has started to make a little noise.

I stripped it down & determined the non-freehub side bearing is a little notchy, so I think this is the cause.

I can get the freehub side bearing out with no problems, but it looks like I need to remove the freehub body to get to the non-drive side bearing.

I’m not 100% certain which tool I need to get the freehub off.

From having had a look at it it either looks like: –

1. A 12mm or 14mm allen key
    2. The Suntour Two Notched system, which requires the Park FR-2 tool to remove (I took a look in the Park Tool repair book to find this out)

I don’t own either tool, so I’d like to make sure I buy the right one for the job.

The hubs are from a 2010 bike.

Does anyone have any experience of working with these hubs? If so which tool do I need to get the freehub off.

Thanks

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

Anyone have any ideas?

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I think you sound like you’ll need a new freehub. The piece you can see in the end that you think you need a Suntour tool for is just a shield. You will need a big hex key, but should be able to get a spare freehub from a DECENT LBS.

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

Turned out to be an 11mm allen key in the end & the non-drive side bearing needed replacement – thanks for the advice

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Formula Hubs – Cartridge Bearing Change’ is closed to new replies.