• This topic has 22 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by snap.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • formula brake pads ..where from ?
  • snap
    Free Member

Hi
    currently getting through them very quickly
    Wheres the best place/make to buy
    also im running sintered at the moment ,is this the best choice for his time of year

Thanks

hallz
    Free Member

Funny you should post this today. I recently had to replace my pads to my Formula RX brakes. I hadnt had the bike for too long, less than 6 months. Im not sure if that is to be expected but it certainly seemed a lot faster than the pads i had on my old bike.
    Anyway, I had difficulty locating pads from local shops but managed to get them from Evans Cycles who had a fair range of them. At the time i bought the cheapest ones but today whilst cleaning the bike found that they have worn down to almost nothing already. So i’m going back tomorrow for more pads – probably more expensive ones this time.

I also find that my brakes are squealing like a banshee and that one side of the pad is wearing more than the other. Think i’ll have to investigate why this may be…?

missnotax
    Free Member

Hiya – I run K24 Oro’s on my bikes and always use sintered pads all year. Riding in the UK where it’s usually gritty, muddy, sandy stuff I find they work best and last longest. Regarding makes i’m a bit of a brake pad floosie – I just buy whatever is cheapest 😳

I’ve tried all the brands from cheap to the most expensive over the years and I can’t honestly tell any difference with how long they last. Superstar sintered pads are good, but i’ve also bought the EBC (?) pads in multi-packs off fleabay before and they also do the job very well!

Hope that helps!

Northwind

I use Superstar… Disco sintered didn’t last as well or stop as well when I tried those.

Sintered is hard so will usually last better in winter… I use kevlar all year round but then we don’t have particularily gritty mud.

OTOH I did discover while racing up north that if you do strike abrasive mud, the Superstar pad backing seems to be a very effective braking surface and my brakes still worked better than most people’s at the end of the day 😉 Very nearly got to test the pistons.

rewski
    Free Member

You need Swiss stop, I use them on my r1s.

grum
    Free Member

SS Kevlar normally but on a very very wet and muddy ride in Hebden they wore right down to nothing from nearly new.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

I use superstar sintered in my K18 & K24 Oros. Just worn out the ones on my hardtail after about 10 month of mainly muddy riding.

Ordered 4 new pairs last night funnily enough.

rbrstr
    Free Member

ive just ordered two sets of sintered for my RX’s this evening coincidentally. £14 delivered
    these will typically last me 6 – 8 months of heavy riding, two finger stoppies even in the wet, great pads IMO

Jason
    Free Member

I always use Alligator pads and find they stop well and have a decent life span in gritty conditions:

http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct.php?productid=219

fakesounding
    Free Member

I use Uberbikes sintered pads in my RX’s. Very happy with them, and seem to be lasting well.

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

Another vote for Superstar sintered. Use them in my K18s and they last a decent amount of time and provide a pretty decent amount of stopping power as long as they’re not filthy.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Currently using alligator kevlar ones I think. They were fine until yesterday when they were rubbish and I was gnarling it up like a gnarly thing with no rear brakes

(That may or may not be true)

oliwb
    Free Member

Anyone know where to get replacement pads for the RO? Just tried looking on the usual suspects and can’t find them anywhere!

reedspeed
    Free Member

i use Clarke Organic,Sintered Uberbike,all very good..

FuzzyWuzzy

Superstar kevlar, cheap and work well/last ages. Use them on K18’s and RX’s

messiah
    Free Member

Anyone know where to get replacement pads for the RO? Just tried looking on the usual suspects and can’t find them anywhere!

R0 uses the same pad as R1, Th1 and RX etc.

skiprat
    Free Member

Uberbikes here too. Lasting really well with plenty of bite and power. Great service too.

oliwb
    Free Member

R0 uses the same pad as R1, Th1 and RX etc

You sure? The RO has the oval pistons and the R1 doesn’t….kind of thought the whole point in that was that you got a bigger surface area and more pad contact? Seems a bit daft to ovalise pistons and run the same pads (since you’ll be getting less force for the same lever throw).

TheFopster
    Free Member

I’m using Superstar sintered. Seem to last well and no quality issues (e.g. pads dropping off backing plates) but they are quite noisy. I think all sintered would be similar. May try Kevlar next time.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

+1 for Superstar sintered (Formula RX)

messiah
    Free Member

You sure? The RO has the oval pistons and the R1 doesn’t….kind of thought the whole point in that was that you got a bigger surface area and more pad contact? Seems a bit daft to ovalise pistons and run the same pads (since you’ll be getting less force for the same lever throw).

Yes I’m sure,Check out the exploded diagrams of each brake to see what the oval piston means and that the brake pads are the same across the range

snap
    Free Member

Hi
    Many thanks for all replies , ive gone for superstar sintered ,going to give them a try

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘formula brake pads ..where from ?’ is closed to new replies.