Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Formila k18 new pads won't fit, too tight on disc…help?
  • AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

putting in some new pads and they are too fat, the pistons won’t retract back into the brake so i can fit them. Should i just loosen off the little torq key bolt on the calliper (holding it above the lever) and let a tiny bit of fluid out? is so how much? if not what do?
    thanks

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Are they superstar pads, by chance?

If so, superstar pads appear to come up a bit thick for Formula brakes – same with my Oros

You just have to ride it out ’till they wear a bit.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

no they aren’t and they aren’t actually brand new pads either, they are probably about 80% i tried to ride with them in hoping a couple of descents and some hard braking would gradually push the pistons back in as they adjust automatically with wear (no?). however they just rubbed so much and heated up the calliper a lot and just made it worse as heat pushed pistons out even more!

budgierider67

Put the old pads back in & then introduce a large flat head screwdriver between the pads slowly sliding the tapered head further in.
    This should push the pistons back in.

grievoustim
    Free Member

I had this problem with my k18s (not from new) I needed to bleed them to sort it

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Lubricating the pistons with a drop or seven of brake fluid on a cotton wool bud may help recalcitrant pistons to go back.

Plastic brake levers work well, strong and won’t damage the pistons.

sleigh62
    Free Member

pistons won’t go back unless you let a tiny amount of fluid out. Then they will go back easily (should).

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

yeah, they move back in, however i push one in the other side just comes back out and vice versa… question is then how do i let a little fluid out?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

In that you’re right sorry, you need to let some fluid out. It should not matter which end, but the caliper end will probably be easiest to reach while you’re pushing the pistons back.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Formila k18 new pads won't fit, too tight on disc…help?’ is closed to new replies.