Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Forks:which of these is the best?
  • shanta
    Free Member

which of the following forks is the best guys, i am clueless…fox 32 f series rl 120mm or Rck Shox recon SL solo air ?

Cheers

RepacK
    Free Member

Why not wait & see what the new SID 120mms will be like?

shanta
    Free Member

I maybe buying a Trek Ex6 or an Ex8 and they have these forks. Thats why i want to know.

tomhughes46

By most metrics the Fox is far superior: lighter, and better damping, probably > £450 new. The RS is probably about £250 new, but is a reasonable fork, very easy to service, very reliable but lacking the finesse of the Fox.

Personally I'm a Rockshox fan (have Reba/Rev/Domain) but if you are buying a whole bike maybe there are more important considerations (price/condition?).

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

fox

RepacK
    Free Member

My concern w Fox is rather unrealistic servicing intervals..Dont get me wrong I like them (I have a Talas 08) but Im switching to Rockshox..

shanta
    Free Member

Sorry, should have said, the bike is new. What is the service interval on Fox?

RepacK
    Free Member
    nickegg
    Free Member

Wiper seal needs a clean and re-lube every 15hrs which involves removing the lower forks legs….easy and quick (20mins) if you're not a ham-fisted ape!

vinnyeh

20 minutes if you're a hamfisted ape.

Don't understand all the fuss about this- folk lavish huge amounts of care, attention, time and materials on looking after their £15 chain, but can't be arsed spending 10-15 minutes looking after what is probably one of the most sophisticated bits of engineering on their bike.
    Rockshox ask for the same service interval as well, don't they?

RepacK
    Free Member

No Rockshox is about 50hrs & then all you have to do is look at them..literally look at them..Dont get me wrong I like Fox but with the amount of time I spend riding I want something that gives me a little bit more confidence that it isnt going to break on me..

nickegg
    Free Member

Sorry, wasn't aware it was a race!

shanta
    Free Member

Easy boys..opinions not punch ups.

RepacK
    Free Member

Fight!

vinnyeh

not hard for stuff to escalate round here, is it. 😳

tron
    Free Member

Even the Fox guide is full of careful careful type stuff. I personally don't want to be chancing a £300+ pair of forks by poking a screwdriver around the stanchions pretty much every week or two.

It's not comparable to cleaning a chain – stick the chain cleaner on, hose it down, oil it. There's no risk of ruining anything expensive and I dont have to take anything apart. And the thing with a chain is that it's the best system we have at the moment for drive. With forks, you can choose to stick a set of open bath Marzocchis on and look at them once a year.

Whereas with the Fox I either go poking expensive things with a screwdriver or take the forks to bits, which means I need something to hold the bike up whilst I do that (workstand?).

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Forks:which of these is the best?’ is closed to new replies.