Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Forks Warranty Query
  • Jamie
    Free Member

Ok, lets say I bought a pair of forks which were bought less than 3 months ago, maybe 2 months of actual riding…most in P'boro FFS, but have now developed faults. The forks have been sent back to Rockshox/(Fishers?) who after completing an inspection have advised the shop who sent them back for me that the lockout motion control cartridge is knackered and will be covered and replaced under warranty.

However, with regards to an air leak the forks also had they are saying I will require a seal kit fitted and as seals are not covered as a warranty item this will cost me £60.99.

Am I right to be peeved given the age of the forks, and from a legal point of view is there anything I can do…….other than bend over and have a steerer inserted in my ass and be £70 lighter after factoring in the cost of sending the forks back?

seanodav
    Free Member

Wouldnt think the seals should fail within 3 months myself.
    Had a seal fail on moco cart on a pike before and it was replaced no problem on warranty

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Seals may well not be a warrenty item but under the sale of goods act they should last a reasonable time.

Tell the shop you want your money back – you are entitled to this if a product fails without lasting a reasonable time.

retro83
    Free Member

They might not be covered under the manufacturers warranty, but I would consider 3 months too short for those seals to be legitimately worn out.
    I would guess that there was not enough lubricating oil in the air chamber from the factory (not uncommon – my pikes came entirely without any semi-bath oil), or that an o-ring was outside their tolerance range.

I would speak nicely to the shop and see if they could sort it out. If not then start getting pissy and quote random bits of the Sales Of Goods Act in the hope they'd relent and sort them out. Next step after that is the dirty protest (or slag them off on here).

Jamie
    Free Member

slag them off on here

I doubt that ever works to be honest. Just composing an email now to the shop and will call them when back from work tomorrow. Just wondering what rights I do have to back up any pissyness if it descends into a poo flinging contest?

I bought them on credit card if that makes a diff?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Jamie – google sale of goods act. You have an absolute right to reject faulty goods and to have your money back in this sort of circumstance. Teh issue of the seals is irrelevant — there is an admitted fault in the damping cartridge, its your choice to repair, replace or refund and you can choose refund.

Jamie
    Free Member

So TJ, when the shop has this in their terms/conditions its incorrect?

"Please note some items may need to be returned to the UK manufacturer/distributor for inspection/repair. Goods must be returned in a clean condition, postage paid. We are sorry but we are unable to refund postage costs. The warranty is to repair or replace at the manufacturers discretion."

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Forks Warranty Query’ is closed to new replies.