Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Forks question [because I'm a Girl ] ?
  • Tracey

Bought some 2009 Rockshox Lyrik 2 step air last year. The 2 step packed up in Verbier and have just got them back from a warranty repair. Looking at them they now have a mission control sticker on the back of the right leg and a nob that goes up or down at the top of the right leg.
    Is this a upgrade on the fork or has it been there all the time and I've not seen it

Tracey

Tracey

Forgot to ask. What does it do?

Tracey

glynP
    Free Member

Tracey, mission control is the type of damping used in the forks, the sticker should have been there unless it fell off.

kevt

I have some of those forks as well, I have put a coil in them as the 2 step is notoriously fickle. It wasnt that expensive compared to the price of the forks. perhaps something to bear in mind. TFT will send everything or do it for you

crocodilian
    Free Member

The 2-step system is universally condemned by most people I speak to. I had a set myself that packed up and became a simple pair of unadjustable 160mm forks. I'm lazy so I just got used to it. I now have a set of coil, u-turn lyriks that are just fantastic.
    This has nothing to do with your original question but the next time the 2-step fouls up you should consider an internal conversion.

DeeJay
    Free Member

Like this?

Mission control offers adjustable 'low speed' and 'high speed' compression . . . increased compression will make the fork feel 'hard' while decreased compression makes the fork feel 'soft' – thats wot it says in the instruction book anyway!

The bit that pops up is the floodgate control – ie adjustable point at which the fork becomes a suspension device 😀

jam-bo

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/technical-tuesday-lyric-mod-2010.html

interesting link for removing the floodgate to improve performance. apparently worth it if you never use it.

how much is the coil conversion? running a set of 2-steps that I picked up for a bargain. No problems yet but worth bearing in mind.

kevt

hmm I did mine over a year ago, something like £70 I think…thanks for the floodgate link, I might have a go at that

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

That floodgate removal also removes all low speed compression damping as it removes all of the components that make the low speed work.
    It's ineresting that they claim the low speed damping is adjustable after the mod, as it's been removed.
    The high speed is still adjustable and left intact. But to claim the low speed works better and is adjustable is just untrue.
    That mod is done by people that don't appreciate how damping works and like to ride on the spring.
    It's less efficient and counter productive, but because the fork "feels" softer in this phase of the stroke, they percieve it as an improvement.
    It's not improving performance, it's removing feel from the fork.
    But if you want to ride an expensive pogo stick it's your choice whether to try it or not.

Northwind

I just bought a set of 2-steps, the 2-step managed to blow up in the post, never even got to ride on the things 🙄 Well impressed 😆 Shame because it seems like a nice system when it works.

Tracey

Thanks

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I have a medium spring from a set of 2009 Lyriks, if anyone is looking for cheap spring to enable the conversion, give me a shout. The springs were £50 to buy from the shops when I swaped mine over.

Cheers

clubber
    Free Member

Skyline – can you define 'feel' as in 'removing feel' please. From where I'm standing it sounds more like the kind of phrase used by someone who doesn't really understand suspension and I'm sure that's not the case…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Forks question [because I'm a Girl ] ?’ is closed to new replies.