• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Forks for XC/trail 29er
  • leahde
    Free Member

Hi All

I’m building up a Yeti ASR dually and am looking at new forks too. I’m happy ish on the down hill but lack peddle power on the up so want to keep weight low. My riding style is mainly XC and XCM. But as we have rocks rocks and more rocks on my local tracks, generally our riding has a lot of “trail” enforced upon the XC.

Hence I’m looking at the 120 mm Fox Factory Float but can’t decide on the 32 or 34. They are meant to have a 500 g wt difference

Currently I’m riding fox float 120 mm 2015 32 mm shocks on a Santa Cruz tallboy.

I am wondering if the improved ride of the 34 is enough to over come the weight penalty.

A distant third choice is the light weight Reba Rock shox again the 32 mm but wondering if these lack stiffness. I was looking at the SIDs but they no longer do a 120 version.

Decisions decisions so would love some thoughts from people that have used these forks

Cheers

Leah

tomhoward

Got 34s on my pivot 429sl, pretty impressed with them tbh, they don’t feel noticeably more flexy than pikes

matt_outandabout

I would add Yari to that list – like 36’s a lot stiffer than Reba, without being silly heavy.

How big and heavy are you? Mrs_oab is only 8st, so a set of bolt through Reba’s are fine for her, but feel noodly to me at 14st….

Also, what rocks? A big difference between cobbles/babies heads and Peak District mayhem….

Fwiw, I’ve just gone from Fox F120 (32’s) to Yari RL and they are so much better at keeping my lines, damping, able to tune etc. Worth a small weight penalty for me.

llatsni
    Free Member

The ASRc is a very capable bike. It’s happiest where most XC full susses would be terrified. It deserves a 120mm, stiff fork.

Also, once you’re talking about 2017/18 fox forks there is only about 50g (yes fifty) between the regular 32 (non stepcast) and the 34. My current 34 is 1760g. And the damping is massively improved over previous years.

Obviously a stepcast 32 would save you a fair chunk of weight over a regular 32 or 34 (still not 500, more like 350-400g) but you’d be limited to 100mm. They’re excellent forks and handle predictable, known terrain fine… but when things get out of hand I always want my 34s under me.

SIDs probably split the difference between an SC32 and a 34. Both weight wise and performance. You can definitely convert up to the 2016 (sid b) model to 120mm. But yea newer ones limted to 100.

I vote fox 34 120mm. You won’t regret it!

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    I’ve recently swapped from 100mm 32’s to 120mm 34’s on my 29er Anthem and the difference is night and day.
    Strongly recommended upgrade
    Cheers
    Steve

DezB
    Free Member

Was lucky enough to get some 34s in the Mojo sale and they are superb. I’m sure they actually felt lighter than the (2015) 32s I swapped them for, so there’s not a lot of difference in weight.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Forks for XC/trail 29er’ is closed to new replies.