Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Forks for Foes FXR,,, RS Rev too wimpy??
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Hi

My Foes FXR hasn't had any forks on it for about 7 months 🙁 It used to have Fox 36 Vans which were fab but I could never get the spring suited to my weight hence sold em.

I now need some air sprung 150/160mm forks to replace them and am sorely tempted by the Rock Shox Revelation Team Dual Air 2010 150mm jobbies.

They're mucho lighterer than the 36 Vans but am worried that I'm going to miss the burlyness of the 36's..

The other option is Fox 36 Float RC2's..

Soo…. what do people think? Would the RS Revs look too skinny and be too twangy on my FXR? Would they be OK on the occasional uplift day?!

thanks..

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

This the 2:1 5-6" version? I belive they are designed around a 150mm fork are they not?

If the bike is a pure xc machine focusing on distance and weight then probably revs, however you mention uplifts which suggest heavier trail riding and or DH in which case i would go for the Fox 36 Float RC2's.

I had my older FXR (04) built with 130mm dorado SC and Marzocchi 66's ata's (140-180). I think something in the middle would have been perfect and considering building it up with some 36 Talas's i have as an all day trail bike that will handle DH's too.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Yep it's the 2007 6'' version..

My dilemma is that I mostly do xc/trail riding but do like to hammer some fairly tough descents in the Peaks.

Occasionally I venture to wharncliffe for a bit of DH and the odd uplift day.

I guess I'm trying to balance light weight (the fxr could do with losing a few pounds) against burliness.

tbh I'm no jumper so it's not like my forks really get a hard time of… the only thing occurring to me is that the RS revs might be a bit shorter than the Fox 36's (cant find the length of the revs on RS page)..

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

anyone else? Does anyone happen to know the difference between the fox 36 and revelations length?

Thanks

pinches
    Free Member

have you looked at the new 2010 150mm 32s?

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

well I've heard talk that the fox 32's are flexier than the rockshox revelations?

Confusing though as fox pitch the 32 as suitable for all-mountain type stuff but rockshox say the revelation is only really a trail fork . . .

PJM1974
    Free Member

Pikes?

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I think pikes are a bit too short of travel . . Also about same weight as 36's . . .

retro83
    Free Member

lyrics then, tho personally i think the new 20mm revs will take pretty much anything you throw at them short of full on DH or FreeCoreJeyLite

grumm
    Free Member

A mate broke his 09 Rev dual airs doing not very extreme DH at whistler.

If you are talking about doing some uplift stuff I reckon Lyriks or 36s – maybe air to keep the weight down. I love my 36 Vans but I suppose they ain't light, but then neither am I.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Hmmm… broken Revs eh? That doesn't inspire confidence really!

I know Lopes used Fox 32's on the Megavalanche so they must be pretty tough..

re 36 Vans – I loved mine grumm but as I say, I couldn't get the spring right for me (medium too divey, firm too er.. firm) hence looking at air forks.

I think really the 36 float would be a safe bet…just tempted by 32 Float's if they're tough / long enough for my frame..

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

FreeCoreJeyLite

😀 sounds about right that..

I_Ache
    Free Member

Buy the revs for general riding and buy some SH 66's for DH days.

Vortexracing

Buy the revs for general riding and buy some SH 66's for DH days.

thats what I nearly do, pikes for 90% of my riding and some 66sl's for daft days.

mamadirt was selling some cheap zochis a few days ago I think

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Yeah it's an interesting idea guys – don't think the foes can take much more than a 160mm fork though and the 'zocchis are quite tall.

Thing is I reckon Revs will look quite spindly on my bike – big tubes galore!!

I still need to check the length of the RS Revs too as the FXR was designed around a fox 36 apparently (revs could be too short)

grumm
    Free Member

Thing is I reckon Revs will look quite spindly on my bike

I reckon you're right.

I_Ache
    Free Member

My 66's arnt tall when set at 150mm they are 10mm shorter a-c than 36s. Granted they are about 30mm shorter than the 2005 66's and with that much weald area at the front the 66's set at 170mm should be fine.

bol

Apparently the revs at 150 are only 4mm longer a2c than a 140 pike. Good news for lots of people, but not if your bike is built for a 160 Fox I guess.

retro83
    Free Member

Thing is I reckon Revs will look quite spindly on my bike – big tubes galore!!

Yeah, Lyrics!

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Lyrics are quite heavy though…and I can't afford the latest super duper air ones..

I think I'm going to have to get saving for the 36 float.. tis just rather tempting to save a pound in weight and go for fox 32 150mm or revs (bike weighs about 33.5lb )

hmmmm

tinsy
    Free Member

yup they will look a tiddly (but sure would work fine however)… I am a bit jelous of your bike and that doesnt happen often.. Def save for the 36 floats.

Did you try mixing the springs in the forks you had? like having a med spring in 1 leg and a soft in the other (or variations on that theme) to get the right weighting for you?

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I have seen FXR's on mtbr with Fox 32's and it doesn't look quite right really!

tinsy – interesting that you like the look of my bike tbh – most people just call them Fugly!

(btw the pic above is not of my actual bike although it's the same year / model – you can probably tell from the dusty trails in the pic!)

re the Fox 36 Vans that I had – unfortunately they just run a single spring in the left leg so have no way of tweaking.

I just about got away with the medium spring and full pre-load, for most circumstances how ever the fork had a habit of pitching me over the bars on slow speed steep stuff (nearly got me on the Slab at Dalbeattie, that would have hurt!)

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Forks for Foes FXR,,, RS Rev too wimpy??’ is closed to new replies.