Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Forks for a meta 5.5
  • oli31
    Free Member

Hi all,

Appealing to the collective wisdom of STW here, really fancy a change from the Fox Floats that came with the bike. The bikes definitely taking on a am, dh light persona and i’ve always favored coil forks for their plushness and easy maintenance, been offered a good deal on some pikes but what are others running and are there other serious contenders (1 1/8 head tube btw and don’t mind creeping over the 140mm limit as always run loads of sag and bikes out of warranty)

cheers

Oli

DrP

I’ve ran 130 revs, 140 Pikes, and currently 150 revs (all u turn).
    Feels best around the 140-150 mark…..
    All air too….

DrP

oli31
    Free Member

which did you prefer drp?

DrP

Current revs (2011) have 150mm of uturn travel, and are the lightest and best damped of the lot.
    So them!

DrP

pinder318
    Free Member

you could also try lyrics the thicker stansions are great. if you get the coil uturns you can play with the height to see what suits you best. the down point is they are about one pound heavier than revs.

rj
    Free Member

Used to run Lyriks on mine. They were moderately awesome.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

My wife has a set of 150mm Fox 32 Float RL’s on hers. It was a full build, but secondhand & stock. They seem to suit it well in terms of angles etc, but probably need a bit of work to make them feel a little plusher.

I’d like to try something bigger, I think a 150mm Fox 34 would suit it well, but i’m wary of increasing the A2C height on the bike as it’s already quite slack.

The other issue is weight. I can’t quite work out why the bike is so heavy considering it’s build. I can only assume the frame weighs a heck of a lot, even with a carbon swingarm…

oli31
    Free Member

cheers for the advice guys, glad it’s not just me who finds the stock forks lack plushness : ) would love some lyriks but coil 1 1/8 seem pretty hard to find where as pikes are cheap and freely available will see how I get on with a set I think

Oli

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

They may be worth sending off for a bit of tuning?

Being a set of non FIT 2011 floats, I think makes them an open bath damper fork, which gives you quite a lot of choices in improving the feel of the fork, plus a seal update.

My big concern with a bigger fork is the weight. It’s proven a bit of a challenge getting the bike a sensible weight already without adding all that weight back on 🙁

gingerss
    Free Member

My meta also finding itself in an increasingly DH persona. I’m considering some 55 bombers or float 36’s. The revs on it now are feeling like the weak link.

The bombers will not help with weight but as I see it there’s a choice to be made. You can’t necessarily have it all.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Float 36’s set to 140 stiff and perform great, I tried a Talas 36 which also worked well set to 130 most of the time then flip them to 160 on any steep techy down hill

stcolin
    Free Member

Vanilla RL’s on mine, working very well. Had old Revs before and the Vanilla’s are just a nicer, more plush fork, especially on the small/medium bump stuff.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Ran Fox Van R 140’s on mine, Tim at TFT recommended it as the lightest, simplest and cheapest in the range at that time (2010).

I was very happy, especially with them pushed. Quite sad I sold them in the end, they were excellent forks.

scruff
    Free Member

Coil lyrics wound down to 140 on mine. Damping is way better solo air than Revs which I had before and noticeably stiffer.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Forks for a meta 5.5’ is closed to new replies.