Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Fork/Headset related problem
  • j_whyte
    Free Member

HI, this is my first post so hi to all.
    The problem i'm having is with the bits left over when i sold my forks.
    You can see them in the pic. I'm not sure where the gold clip or the part that says cane creek go.
    Also my old forks had a 220mm steerer and i need the same sort of handlebar height; if not more, will i need the same length steerer?
    Also, i included the metal thread thing that sits in the top of the fork steering tube, so am i going to need to buy a need headset adjuster and dispose of the bit that says giant on it now that it's missing its accompanying part.

http://s898.photobucket.com/albums/ac189/upsdw/?action=view&current=DSC00952.jpg

nickc

the gold coloured thing is an expansion wedge that goes into the top cup of a headset to locate the steerer centrally in the bearings. The thing that says cane creek is a top cover for a headset. the bit that says Giant is a top cap bolt, you can re-use that with a new SFN (the metal threaded thing that sits in a steerer).

You are taking this to a shop to get your new forks fitted, yeah?

jond
    Free Member

http://www.canecreek.com/tech-headsets
    – you might find it there.

Without knowing exactly which headset it is, that gold ring either came off the top end – and helps to centralise the upper bearing race on the steerer when everything is snugged up- or it sits directly against the forks and the bottom bearing race sits against it, and I'd expect you to have somthing similar for the top end.

I suspect that if it came off the bottom end, you've remember taking it off the forks.

Did you, by any chance, leave a ring-like thing sitting at the fork end of the steerer tube when you sold 'em ? Cos you need that for the new forks – it's (effectively) the crown race.

Re steerer, yup, cut to length, exact length will depend on headset (they vary), number of spacers between stem and headset, length of headtube.

The part left inside the steerer is the SFN (Star Fangled Nut) – you can't easily get 'em out anyway. You can buy a new one (a little fiddly to fit straight without the right tool or some tubing) or plug-type placement (eg Hope Hed Doctor – and if you get one, read the instructions carefully…).

Don't forget the upper can only *preloads* the bearing stack with the stem bolts loosened to removed bearing play, it's doing up the stem clamp bolts that holds it together – it's not unheard of for people to get that wrong 'cos they haven't thought about it.

'Course, taking a piccie or sketching it out first might have saved you some trouble 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    j_whyte
    Free Member

Thanks a lot for your quick reply nickc. I could take them to a shop if need be. My main concern is that i buy the correct measured forks for my bike tho.

jond
    Free Member

You don't – they're supplied uncut, and the shop (assuming you use one) cuts it to size.

It's the sort of thing where 'measure twice, cut once' is *very* important !

jond
    Free Member

And have a look here:

http://www.canecreek.com/tech-headsets?view=manual

The identification guide doesn't actually identify which your headset it (tho' it might be one of the others that there's a manual for) – but it does have a decent diagram of what the parts of a headset typically are.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Fork/Headset related problem’ is closed to new replies.