Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Fork & Wheel Dilemma
  • Bludgeon
    Free Member

Hi,

I have a bit of a dilemma…. might even be a trilemma…

On my On-One 456 I have some old wheels that are burgered. The 456 also has a RS Tora fork.

My Soul has 2008 Mavic CrossMax UST wheels and 2008 Fox RL120 fork.

Both bikes are used for general riding including trail centres and urban, but the Soul will get used for longer days out and some XC races (Classic Weekender for example)

I was thinking about moving the Mavics and the RL120 to the 456 and getting (maxle-based) Hope Hoops Pro 2 On Stans ZTR Flow Rim and RS Revelation Dual Air (reduced to 140mm) for the Soul.

Despite fettling, the RL120 doesn't seem anywhere near as responsive as the RS Pikes on my Prophet. It would also make the Soul more rigid laterally on the front (not that I've noticed any flexing just yet and would I be able to tell anyway?). Also, when I demoed the Soul, it had a 140mm Magura fork and that felt better to me than the RL120s do.

Good opportunity to upgrade the 456 (used when I am at home and not working in Scotland)

CrossMax seem to be a better wheel than the Hoops (judging by the price at least) and should arguably stay on the better bike. Certainly lighter.

Any opinions?

TIA,

Andrew.

Bludgeon
    Free Member

WOW! No opinions…..

Is that a first on Singletrack Forum?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I'd go light on the Soul and big+burly on the 456, whatever that would entail, which on first glance would be some Pikes+20mm+Flow on the 456 and the lighter kit on the Soul.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Fork & Wheel Dilemma’ is closed to new replies.