Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Fork warranty inspection?
  • bigbloke
    Free Member

How long should I expect it to take for a warranty issue to be sorted out on a set of forks off a new bike from earlier this year?. They have been away 2 weeks so far. Retailer arranged for collection of the forks. Then sent them to the bike UK distributor for inspection…… Trail has gone rather cold since. Any opinions?

legend
    Free Member

What are the shop saying at the moment? If you think it’s taking too long make sure you’re getting frequent updates

scotroutes

2-3 weeks seems about right but the last case we had of this in this forum it was the shop that hadn’t actually sent them away….

What is the shop telling you?

bigbloke
    Free Member

The retailer told me last week 8th sept the forks were away already and takes around 10 days for inspection. Just contacted the retailer today for an update who confirmed it’s at the distributer and will update me when they have info.

philjunior
    Free Member

I had similar with a set of forks. Probably should’ve pushed harder as they took 5-6 weeks which is taking the piss when it’s a bike for getting to work.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

They’ll need to chase it, or if it’s the forks I’m thinking of, the dealer can log into the B2B account & check progress & tell you instantly.

bigbloke
    Free Member

update……

Retailer contacted me to say Sram tech can’t find anything wrong with the forks??.

For info….the forks were knocking at the bushing area on the lockout side lower. There was movement forward n back between the stanchion and lower on that leg. Visible to the eye too not just touch. It was not the brake blocks, it was not the headset, there was no loss of pressure. Just knocking and obvious movement. Opinions please??

benpinnick

Best bet is always to get a video of the problem happening before you send it in if you can. We’ve sent things back for warranty that come back from the distributor (not any specific distro I should add) as ‘ok’ so we learned the lesson fast 🙂 If its possibly contentious or difficult to reproduce (creaking etc.) we video the issue first, send them a list of things we tried to alleviate the issue, then when it goes back we send them a link to the video to provide evidence. Its not to prove who’s right or wrong – stuff thats happening on a bike can be difficult to diagnose off the bike, its just good practice I guess.

At the end of the day the warranty is with the retailer not the distributor though, so as long as you can provide evidence of the issue (a video being the best option) then the retailer has to sort you out no matter what the distributor says, its not the distributor’s problem.

legend
    Free Member

Did you demonstrate the problem to the shop? Another option is to pick up the phone and speak to Fishers directly to ensure they’re looking for the correct fault.

Also, fore/aft play in just one leg? The fork would have to be twisting when doing that and I would think the front wheel would be going side to side?

bigbloke
    Free Member

My fork is still with them at sram. It’s been 4 weeks now. It’s becoming very frustrating.

bigjim

yeah Fishers didn’t want to do anything with my forks either when they went for warranty, wasn’t massively chuffed.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Legend…..the stanchion is moving in the lower, not by huge margin though. If I put my finger in between the stanchion and Crown then lock up break moving back n forwards it pinches and releases my finger. It doesn’t do it on the other leg though. The movement corresponds directly to the knock at the bulge area on the lowers, again not on the other leg.

legend
    Free Member

Did you demonstrate the problem to the shop before they sent them away?

Sram = Rockshox = Fishers, give em a call

bigbloke
    Free Member

I live a long way from the retailer, it was bought online. So no I didn’t.

benpinnick

My fork is still with them at sram. It’s been 4 weeks now. It’s becoming very frustrating.

SRAM are really good with turnaround. If its been 4 weeks chances are that they are waiting for a part to come in, but your retailer should be able to see on the Warranty Online if this the case.

bigbloke
    Free Member

The retailer contacted me last week to say fishers are well behind on warranty work. Got an email today from the retailer saying sram tech centre have inspected the fork and found nothing wrong and asking if I had suffered a massive loss of pressure (which I didn’t). I emailed the retailer back stating all facts etc (again). My irritation with this all etc and am yet to hear back from them.I feel pretty disappointed now seems pointless buying brand new warranty supported bikes if you have to jump through hoops. Though I will say it could be something lost in communication between me them etc as it’s been bloody ages.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Ok. Managed to phone Fishers, who were very helpful. They managed to locate my forks and the advisor confirmed himself as he had them that they do indeed have a lot of play in the lowers. He also promised a fast track solution. Even apologised??. What had happened before I have no idea or why the retailer told me sram found no fault with them??. Well worthwhile having a straight chat directly. Faith currently restored. 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Fork warranty inspection?’ is closed to new replies.