Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Fork upgrade – stupid questions…
  • mattrgee
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’m considering upgrading the 120mm Recon Silver K forks on my Genesis Core 30. I’m leaning towards some 120mm Rebas at the moment, but I’m open to suggestions.

Anyway, the existing forks are quick release with Shimano m435 hubs. I’ve noticed an option for a 15mm axle when buying the forks, would this be compatible with my existing hub or can the hub be converted?

Also, what steerer size would I need? 1-1/8″? The head tube definitely isn’t tapered.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Your existing hub is not 15mm compatible. You’ll need to replace the hub or the whole wheel
    Genesis bikes will be 1 1/8 headtubes

🙂

simondbarnes

Genesis bikes will be 1 1/8 headtubes

My Genesis has a 44mm headtube

mattrgee
    Free Member

Ok thanks. Is having a 15mm axle worth it i.e. would I regret not making the change now? Obviously this would require the wheel being rebuilt around a new hub, is that an expensive job?

Cheers.

elliott-20
    Free Member

15mm is worth it over QR. 20mm is worth it over 15mm. Either way it’s a better solution.

Ring around your LBS to see what they offer in terms of wheel building. It’s only as expensive as you make it. Wheel building using costs £25 – £30 plus parts per wheel.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Is having a 15mm axle worth it i.e. would I regret not making the change now?

Some claim you notice the increased rigidity of a maxle over QR but I dont really notice this tbh- YMMV or it may be a wieght issue as i am only 10 st

Obviously this would require the wheel being rebuilt around a new hub, is that an expensive job?

Probably as easy to buy a new wheel and sell that one but Hub+ spokes [ may be able to reuse own] + build I would assume £50-100 ish

mattrgee
    Free Member

Ok thanks. If staying with QR, are these any good for the money?

Fork 1

Fork 2

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Ignore me, my suggestion has a 1.5 steerer

jairaj

Those On One deals look good not too bad also have a look at Merlin cycles they always have deals on RS forks.

The move to Rebas should be a very good one. The forks will be lighter and have much better damping and be better controlled.

For the type of riding the Reba is likely to see (XC and Trail) I don’t think a 15mm axle is worth paying more for. It has a very little stiffness increase over standard QR. A tapered steerer has a much better advantage IMO but not sure if your frame is compatible and you’d need a new headset. Unless you are very heavy or ride aggressively, stick with QR would be my suggestion.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

personally i’d be trying to find something on classified’s that maybe has between 120 – 140mm travel with a bolt thru…

i just don’t think a like for like swap is worth £300, I have Reba’s and they are okay, but i think you’ll probably end up underwhelmed by the difference…

Manitou or XFusion are worth a look

jairaj

The rebound circuit on the Reba is more refined than his current setup and also has the Motion Control damper for compression too.

Some of the older Recons can weight 2kg+ so possible weight savings of 400-600g by going to the Reba and new ones can be found for around the £250.

I was also having a look on CRC and they have some great offers on Manitou forks my friend has a set and really likes them. They felt quite nice on the short demo I had. Worth a look to see if there is anything that meets the OP’s requirements.

mattrgee
    Free Member

personally i’d be trying to find something on classified’s that maybe has between 120 – 140mm travel with a bolt thru…

i just don’t think a like for like swap is worth £300, I have Reba’s and they are okay, but i think you’ll probably end up underwhelmed by the difference…

Manitou or XFusion are worth a look

I’m surprised, from what I read the Reba seemed highly respected and a good upgrade over a coil fork 😐

mattrgee
    Free Member

If the Reba isn’t a worthy upgrade to a coil Recon, what would be?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Fork upgrade – stupid questions…’ is closed to new replies.