Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Fork upgrade… Or shall I wait…
  • stewbaccason

Hello,

After a little bit of advice. 🙄
    I’ve got a 2005/2006 Santa Cruz Nomad and currently running RS Domains 160mm coil and oil u-turn forks.
    They are about 4 years old and heavy. I have been milling over upgrading them for about 12 months.
    Due to the age of the frame it’s a 1″ 1/8th head tube which seams to limit me as most forks I see coming out now are tapered.

Can the STW collective recommend some forks I should be looking towards (New or pre-owned) or, should I hold out and purchase a new frame and forks when I have increased the budget.

I am looking for 150-160mm travel 20mm/15mm through axel.
    Got a budget of about £350ish…

Cheers

Northwind

Lyriks are a pretty good used buy, would be a straight swap but lighter and much better damped. The coil ones are still pretty weighty mind but they do a great job.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Selling my 150mm U-turn revelations if interested.

20mm Maxle, dual air, seals just done, 1 and 1/8″ steerer, long too, great condition, remote Poploc, rebound and travel adjust, threshold adjust via Allan key under a cap.

£150 posted.

Save up a little more cash and get some X-Fusion Vengeance – you won’t be disappointed

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you want 1 1/8th shop now, your choices are getting more and more limited, might be worth looking at stockpiling some!

smudger590
    Free Member

Hey

Lyriks are the choice for my mk1 nomad really impressive forks

batman11
    Free Member
    LoCo
    Free Member

Second hand lyrik (with high and low speed compression) later model would be good, or some X fusions 😀

chestrockwell

I’d probably wait until you can change both.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

do the x-fusions do 1 1/8th? Couldn’t get a definite answer when I checked. Just in case make a stockpile of CSU’s…

Hmmm – my 2013 X-Fusions are straight, but looking on Freeborn, it seems the 2014’s are tapered only.

chestrockwell

Magura seem to still do a 150mm fork with 1 1/8th steerer so could be worth looking out for a set of them within budget.

http://www.zyro.co.uk/magura/products/detail/MAFTS8R15F

stewbaccason

Thanks for all your assistance guys.

Currently going to hold out until Feb’s pay day and then reassess the funds.
    Been massively tempted with a Transition Covert for a while now so may well look into second hand frames and a set of forks come March time.

Thanks to Coolhandluke and Bats for offers but will wait for a bit.

Cheers guys 😀

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Fork upgrade… Or shall I wait…’ is closed to new replies.