• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by ART.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Fork upgrade options for 1.1/8th steerer – dropper post and wheels
  • shoogly
    Free Member

I currently ride a Rocky Mountain Altitude 2012 model. I’ve been having a bit of bother with my Fox Float 32 forks so thought I’d look at options for upgrading to say a 34 model fork, probably sticking with 140mm but option of 150. I’m not seeing much out there for 1.1/8 steerers. Seems I am totally out of touch with how much the biking game has moved on in the past few years and don’t really know what I’m looking for.

I’d also like to get a dropper post at some point, but most droppers appear to route cables internally. My bike has cable guides on the frame.

Then I look at wheel upgrades as one of my rims has a ding in it …

Would be better getting a new bike at this rate!

RustyMac

a quick Google suggests the 2012 Rocky Mountain Altitude comes with a 44mm head tube, this is good news for you as it means you can get tapered forks for your bike.

You will need to change the lower cup of the headset to an external lower cup like THIS Hope cup but it should open up a good deal more fork options to you.

Plenty of dropper post still available with external routing new and you can often pick up second hand in the classifieds.

Wheels – look for second hand bargains

shoogly
    Free Member

Thanks Rusty Mac, that’s great info re. the head tube. I’m not a very technical person from that side of things to it’s a great help. Thank you.

ART

Relax – if your head tube is tapered great, if not Fox & RS still make 1″ 1/8 steerer forks and the second hand market is good. As above externally routed droppers are still a thing you can buy new, as believe it or not are 26″ rims or indeed whole wheels, if you need to replace the whole thing. 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Fork upgrade options for 1.1/8th steerer – dropper post and wheels’ is closed to new replies.