Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Fork Upgrade for Whyte E5
  • nacho
    Free Member

I have a brand new E5 warranty replacement frame coming as I broke my old one. I think it needs some shiny new forks to go with it. Ideally I would like a bit more travel but don't want to mess up the geometry. Have original Mavericks on there, any idea's?

mboy
    Free Member

What don't you like about the Mavericks?

If it's just you want a bit more travel, how about going for some Maverick DUC's? You wouldn't need a new front wheel at least!

si-wilson
    Free Member

What is the recommended travel?

slowrider
    Free Member

try the new black box revs, i think you can get an adjustable one. so much stiffer and better damped than a maverick and i think the weight is similar.

nacho
    Free Member

I don't think the Mavericks track well on singletrack compared to other bikes I've ridden. I'm sure DUC's would be overkill
    Not sure of recommended travel, I guess around 130mm max

slowrider
    Free Member

i doubt duc's would be overkill, they are similarly flexy in my experience.

nacho
    Free Member

I asked ATB and they recommended the new revelations but said 130mm, I thought they are 150mm? Hence thougth I would ask advice here

mboy
    Free Member

i doubt duc's would be overkill, they are similarly flexy in my experience.

😕

I don't see how/why people say this! Yes, the SC32 is quite flexy in the twist the forks between your legs test (which doesn't replicate any real world situations anyway!), but it's pretty stiff fore/aft. The DUC32 is a lot stiffer again than the SC32…

Anyway, DUC32 wouldn't be overkill, it's 25mm more travel than the SC32, but you can set them up so it's more "reserve" travel if you like, so you'd not be using any more in normal riding, but you've got that bit extra if you needed it…

They're also pretty cheap to pick up 2nd hand, and I might know someone selling a pair (only cos I got some new ones on my new bike I might add)… 😉

saladdodger
    Free Member

Just for the record I have a set of Rev's and a set of SC 32's and niether is a bad fork for tracking imho

But if I were in a situation where I could only have 1 fork it would be the Mav's cos they are so easy to service and play with

Mind you I was born arse first 😳

slowrider
    Free Member

which doesn't replicate any real world situations anyway

other than, say, crossing a camber, getting out of ruts, riding down trails such as the beast where every rock is trying to push you off the line you want to be on, basically more aggressive stuff really. i found the harder you push them, the more they show their weakness. this was duc32's, id hate to try the sc's.

forks being cheap to pick up second hand and running more sag to get the required ride height isnt a goodf enough reason to put up with vague steering in rough stuff imo.

nacho
    Free Member

sorry Maverickboy, one of my riding buddies has a 46 with the DUC's he loves the bike but can't wait to change the forks (he can't afford it at the mo) – maybe I should give his bike a try to see how the DUC's are. I'm not too technical and don't want to buy forks that might ruin the bikes handling / geometry. If the bike will take 150mm forks then I think revelations would be my choice based on experience

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Fork Upgrade for Whyte E5’ is closed to new replies.